Sep 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Sebastian Telfair will be a free agent when the lockout ends, and there will be some demand for him to come in as a backup point guard. The man will get paid. Maybe not as much as he hoped under whatever the new labor deal looks like, but he will get paid.
But of course, it’s not about the money, he wants to win a ring. Why would you say it’s about the money?
Telfair is out in Vegas at the Impact Competitive Training Series and talked with Ben Golliver of Eye on Basketball about wanting to go to a team where he has a shot at a ring.
“I sure do have a list of teams in my mind,” Telfair said. “Those teams being one of the teams to make a run for a championship or the teams that are fighting every year for a championship. Seeing Dallas win a championship, congratulations to them, but I’m jealous. I’m extremely jealous. Dallas is definitely on my list. They’ve got the gold right now. It’s not a bad thing in this league to want to go where the gold is. If you can compete and help the team win a championship, that’s one of the main focuses in the NBA.
Aside from the Mavericks, Telfair clammed up a little bit as to who was on his radar. “The obvious teams,” he finally allowed. “I won’t say any teams in particular, but the obvious teams.”
For the record, Dallas has Jason Kidd as the starter and they want to re-sign J.J. Barea as the backup point guard. Not a lot of room there. Now Miami is letting Carlos Arroyo and Mike Bibby go, so they will have Mario Chalmers as the only point guard on the roster… but they will not have much money to spend under any new labor system. So we’ll see if it’s about the rings or the money. I have my guess, but we’ll see.
And Telfair is still Telfair. Make no mistake.
Asked what he would bring to a championship contender at this stage of his career, Telfair didn’t hesitate or elaborate: “I bring myself. I bring Sebastian Telfair.”
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23