Sep 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Sebastian Telfair will be a free agent when the lockout ends, and there will be some demand for him to come in as a backup point guard. The man will get paid. Maybe not as much as he hoped under whatever the new labor deal looks like, but he will get paid.
But of course, it’s not about the money, he wants to win a ring. Why would you say it’s about the money?
Telfair is out in Vegas at the Impact Competitive Training Series and talked with Ben Golliver of Eye on Basketball about wanting to go to a team where he has a shot at a ring.
“I sure do have a list of teams in my mind,” Telfair said. “Those teams being one of the teams to make a run for a championship or the teams that are fighting every year for a championship. Seeing Dallas win a championship, congratulations to them, but I’m jealous. I’m extremely jealous. Dallas is definitely on my list. They’ve got the gold right now. It’s not a bad thing in this league to want to go where the gold is. If you can compete and help the team win a championship, that’s one of the main focuses in the NBA.
Aside from the Mavericks, Telfair clammed up a little bit as to who was on his radar. “The obvious teams,” he finally allowed. “I won’t say any teams in particular, but the obvious teams.”
For the record, Dallas has Jason Kidd as the starter and they want to re-sign J.J. Barea as the backup point guard. Not a lot of room there. Now Miami is letting Carlos Arroyo and Mike Bibby go, so they will have Mario Chalmers as the only point guard on the roster… but they will not have much money to spend under any new labor system. So we’ll see if it’s about the rings or the money. I have my guess, but we’ll see.
And Telfair is still Telfair. Make no mistake.
Asked what he would bring to a championship contender at this stage of his career, Telfair didn’t hesitate or elaborate: “I bring myself. I bring Sebastian Telfair.”
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 0
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Roy Hibbert believes Shane Battier’s knee to his groin in Game 1 was intentional (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million