Sep 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Sebastian Telfair will be a free agent when the lockout ends, and there will be some demand for him to come in as a backup point guard. The man will get paid. Maybe not as much as he hoped under whatever the new labor deal looks like, but he will get paid.
But of course, it’s not about the money, he wants to win a ring. Why would you say it’s about the money?
Telfair is out in Vegas at the Impact Competitive Training Series and talked with Ben Golliver of Eye on Basketball about wanting to go to a team where he has a shot at a ring.
“I sure do have a list of teams in my mind,” Telfair said. “Those teams being one of the teams to make a run for a championship or the teams that are fighting every year for a championship. Seeing Dallas win a championship, congratulations to them, but I’m jealous. I’m extremely jealous. Dallas is definitely on my list. They’ve got the gold right now. It’s not a bad thing in this league to want to go where the gold is. If you can compete and help the team win a championship, that’s one of the main focuses in the NBA.
Aside from the Mavericks, Telfair clammed up a little bit as to who was on his radar. “The obvious teams,” he finally allowed. “I won’t say any teams in particular, but the obvious teams.”
For the record, Dallas has Jason Kidd as the starter and they want to re-sign J.J. Barea as the backup point guard. Not a lot of room there. Now Miami is letting Carlos Arroyo and Mike Bibby go, so they will have Mario Chalmers as the only point guard on the roster… but they will not have much money to spend under any new labor system. So we’ll see if it’s about the rings or the money. I have my guess, but we’ll see.
And Telfair is still Telfair. Make no mistake.
Asked what he would bring to a championship contender at this stage of his career, Telfair didn’t hesitate or elaborate: “I bring myself. I bring Sebastian Telfair.”
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29