Sep 16, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Sorry Lakers fans. And Celtics fans. And the fans of the 28 other NBA teams that thought Steve Javie had it in for your team. You will not have Javie to kick around anymore.
“I would like to stay at it and end it on my own terms, but in a way I feel as if I’m doing that in that I got to work that 25th year,” he said. “Adrenaline is an amazing drug. The two weeks after the season, the knee was so painful I couldn’t believe it. My doctor said it was because the adrenaline from the season had finally worn off. Every time I start to think maybe I still could do it, my knee has let me know, one way or another, that I can’t.”
Veteran official Bob Delaney also is stepping down, although he announced that would be the case prior to the start of last season. However Dick Bavetta, at age 71, will be back.
Right now a bunch of you are smiling and saying good riddance. But why fans hated Javie is he was one official unafraid to make a big call against the home team late in a game. Refs will not admit fans sway them, but it feels that way. Not with Javie.
And when you watch the guys that replace him, you are going to miss Steve. Trust me.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11