Sep 16, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Sorry Lakers fans. And Celtics fans. And the fans of the 28 other NBA teams that thought Steve Javie had it in for your team. You will not have Javie to kick around anymore.
“I would like to stay at it and end it on my own terms, but in a way I feel as if I’m doing that in that I got to work that 25th year,” he said. “Adrenaline is an amazing drug. The two weeks after the season, the knee was so painful I couldn’t believe it. My doctor said it was because the adrenaline from the season had finally worn off. Every time I start to think maybe I still could do it, my knee has let me know, one way or another, that I can’t.”
Veteran official Bob Delaney also is stepping down, although he announced that would be the case prior to the start of last season. However Dick Bavetta, at age 71, will be back.
Right now a bunch of you are smiling and saying good riddance. But why fans hated Javie is he was one official unafraid to make a big call against the home team late in a game. Refs will not admit fans sway them, but it feels that way. Not with Javie.
And when you watch the guys that replace him, you are going to miss Steve. Trust me.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15