Sep 16, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT
Ron Artest will not be on Dancing With The Stars this week.
Metta World Peace will be.
And he’ll be playing for the Lakers whenever there is a season again.
The name change from Ron Artest to Metta World Peace was signed off on in Los Angeles Friday morning after a public hearing. It’s official. This is something that was supposed to happen a few weeks ago but was delayed due to outstanding traffic tickets. That issue has been cleared up.
World Peace cannot be denied, only delayed.
“Changing my name was meant to inspire and bring youth together all around the world,” World Peace said in a statement released after the hearing to the Associated Press. “After this short delay, my tickets have been paid and I’m glad that it is now official.”
I’m not sure I’m going to get used to this, but here we go.
And no, this doesn’t impact things like his Lakers contract or his endorsement deals. It’s just going to confuse a few people.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20