Sep 16, 2011, 2:34 PM EST
Ron Artest will not be on Dancing With The Stars this week.
Metta World Peace will be.
And he’ll be playing for the Lakers whenever there is a season again.
The name change from Ron Artest to Metta World Peace was signed off on in Los Angeles Friday morning after a public hearing. It’s official. This is something that was supposed to happen a few weeks ago but was delayed due to outstanding traffic tickets. That issue has been cleared up.
World Peace cannot be denied, only delayed.
“Changing my name was meant to inspire and bring youth together all around the world,” World Peace said in a statement released after the hearing to the Associated Press. “After this short delay, my tickets have been paid and I’m glad that it is now official.”
I’m not sure I’m going to get used to this, but here we go.
And no, this doesn’t impact things like his Lakers contract or his endorsement deals. It’s just going to confuse a few people.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16