Sep 16, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT
Ron Artest will not be on Dancing With The Stars this week.
Metta World Peace will be.
And he’ll be playing for the Lakers whenever there is a season again.
The name change from Ron Artest to Metta World Peace was signed off on in Los Angeles Friday morning after a public hearing. It’s official. This is something that was supposed to happen a few weeks ago but was delayed due to outstanding traffic tickets. That issue has been cleared up.
World Peace cannot be denied, only delayed.
“Changing my name was meant to inspire and bring youth together all around the world,” World Peace said in a statement released after the hearing to the Associated Press. “After this short delay, my tickets have been paid and I’m glad that it is now official.”
I’m not sure I’m going to get used to this, but here we go.
And no, this doesn’t impact things like his Lakers contract or his endorsement deals. It’s just going to confuse a few people.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 6
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8