Sep 16, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT
Ron Artest will not be on Dancing With The Stars this week.
Metta World Peace will be.
And he’ll be playing for the Lakers whenever there is a season again.
The name change from Ron Artest to Metta World Peace was signed off on in Los Angeles Friday morning after a public hearing. It’s official. This is something that was supposed to happen a few weeks ago but was delayed due to outstanding traffic tickets. That issue has been cleared up.
World Peace cannot be denied, only delayed.
“Changing my name was meant to inspire and bring youth together all around the world,” World Peace said in a statement released after the hearing to the Associated Press. “After this short delay, my tickets have been paid and I’m glad that it is now official.”
I’m not sure I’m going to get used to this, but here we go.
And no, this doesn’t impact things like his Lakers contract or his endorsement deals. It’s just going to confuse a few people.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3