Sep 16, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
Chauncey Billups speaks for a lot of NBA veterans.
These are guys who have been around because they can play — and with that comes some nice paydays. Billups is set to make $14.2 million next season in the last year of his deal.
He wants to get paid. He wants to play. But he told Alan Hahn of Newsday that he sees the big picture and wants to make sure the guys just coming into the league have a chance to get paid like this in a decade, too.
“I don’t want to lose that money,” Billups told Newsday by telephone from his home in suburban Denver. “Nobody wants to lose the biggest payday they are ever going to get. I’m never going to get another payday like that again.
“However, I’ve got to look at the big picture and say, ‘Is it about me, selfishly?’ Say, ‘Just strike a deal, I don’t care what it is, because I just want to get my money?’ Or do I care about all these young guys who have 10 to 15 years to play?”
Billups’ second year in the league was the last lockout, and he saw veterans take a hit for guys like him. Now he’s just trying to pay it forward. Which is why the union is not going to be so simple to decertify or for the owners to break — there are strong guys like Billups in there who are doing this on principle.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights