Sep 15, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Wednesday night in the Bay Area the owners of the Golden State Warriors threw a party for season ticket holders to get them excited about the team and its direction.
What would really get fans excited is to know there will be a season, but the owners couldn’t talk about that. What would get the ticket holders excited would be to talk about players and moves the franchise will make to get better, but because of the lockout the owners couldn’t talk about that, either.
So the team’s ownership brain trust — Joe Lacob, Peter Guber and Jerry West — all said this team was going to be a winner, Matt Steinmetz tells us at CSNBayArea.com. They all said it in confident but vague terms.
The one bit of news is that the Warriors plan to retire Hall of Famer Chris Mullin’s jersey, it will be sent to the rafters on Jan. 20 (a game against the Indiana Pacers, Mullin’s other team). It’s an overdue gesture that the former ownership ignored as they poisoned the franchise’s relationship with Mullin. A relationship the new ownership group has repaired.
Let’s just hope there is a game Jan. 20 where the ceremony can happen. But the Warriors owners can’t talk about that.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars