Sep 15, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Not everybody is going to Las Vegas to workout and play in a few games.
While the “lockout league” is drawing the headlines it’s not drawing all the stars or even all the big teams. There are teams running their own minicamps, including the Thunder and Magic.
The Thunder’s are doing their own mini-camp this week that includes Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Eric Maynor, Cole Aldrich, Nick Collison and even rookie Reggie Jackson, according to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld.
For Oklahoma City, where the key is internal improvement and growth to help take the next step, the fact that almost all the key players got together for voluntary workouts is a very good sign. (Serge Ibaka is excused as he is playing for Spain in EuroBasket). We know KD has been playing at seemingly every pickup game in America this summer, but he needs to get that run in with his teammates, too.
The majority of Magic players are getting together next week in Florida for a series of informal workouts, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Jameer Nelson, Quentin Richardson and Dwight Howard are helping organize the run.
“This is the time we all come back into town and just get together and get around each other and hang out a little bit, whether it’s dinner or going to watch a couple of football games, and work out during the day,” Nelson said. “It doesn’t have to be an everyday thing because we have a veteran team. Guys still do their own thing working on their bodies individually, and to my understanding, most guys are [working on their own] right now.”
Right now is when players would usually be working out and playing pickup at team facilities to get ready for the season. But with the lockout squelching that, at least some teams are doing it for themselves. Which should make fans of those team’s happy.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 0
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 16
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 58
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5