Sep 15, 2011, 8:55 AM EST
I’ll take “Stars from other lockouts” for 200 Alex…
Apparently DeMaurice Smith is a lockout junky. Can’t get enough. You remember Smith from the NFL lockout — he is the head of the NFL Players Association. Well, he’s back.
Smith is set to speak to the NBA players at their meeting Thursday in Las Vegas, reports Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated.
It’s easy to see why NBA union president Derek Fisher reached out to Smith — Smith just came out of a lockout where his players were able to get a deal they could live with in time to salvage a full season. An outcome that appears lost for the NBA.
Smith is expected to talk about how decertification of the NFLPA was not what led to a deal being struck. Bringing in Smith also could take some of the pressure off players’ union director Billy Hunter, who is going to have a rough Thursday. NBA players — some pushed by agents who want to take the aggressive step of decertify he union (like the NFL did) — have a lot of questions. They want to know why the negotiations are at square one 77 days into the lockout. They want a plan. One that gets them on the court and keeps something close to the old economic system.
After a series of high-level meetings in previous weeks, there was a growing sense of optimism among players. They were willing to give up four percentage points of “basketball related income” to make a deal (players got 57 percent of the league’s total BRI last season, on Tuesday they offered to make that 53 percent.
The owners said that was nice, but they want a hard salary cap, too. The players balked, saying the owners can’t have both.
Smith may be able to help bolster the players’ spirits for a day. But it will not change the underlying challenges in the NBA lockout.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 0
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 33
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11