Sep 15, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The first few days of the “lockout league” in Las Vegas — officially named the Impact Competitive Training Series but the nickname stuck — has been pretty interesting, but it lacked real star power.
Wednesday, John Wall showed up.
As he has been doing all summer long at pro-am leagues, Wall showed up and showed off his athleticism (pinned a block on the backboard), his healthy knee and an improved jumper, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Here are his list of stars from Wednesday.
John Wall, G, Washington — The former No. 1 overall pick put on a scoring show, tallying 42 points to go with nine assists and eight rebounds.
Marreese Speights, C, Philadelphia — Speights has been putting up big numbers all week, but getting it done against another young, up-and-coming center like JaVale McGee (19 points, 10 rebounds) was impressive. Speights finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds, including a couple of monster dunks, one of which was a powerful jam over McGee.
DeMar DeRozan, G, Toronto — DeRozan can get it going offensively at any moment, and that certainly was the case on Wednesday when he scored 35 points to go with six rebounds.
Remember these are high-level pickup games, so they favor the freakishly athletic. Which seems to be who keeps showing up on these lists.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31