Sep 15, 2011, 8:16 AM EST
The first few days of the “lockout league” in Las Vegas — officially named the Impact Competitive Training Series but the nickname stuck — has been pretty interesting, but it lacked real star power.
Wednesday, John Wall showed up.
As he has been doing all summer long at pro-am leagues, Wall showed up and showed off his athleticism (pinned a block on the backboard), his healthy knee and an improved jumper, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Here are his list of stars from Wednesday.
John Wall, G, Washington — The former No. 1 overall pick put on a scoring show, tallying 42 points to go with nine assists and eight rebounds.
Marreese Speights, C, Philadelphia — Speights has been putting up big numbers all week, but getting it done against another young, up-and-coming center like JaVale McGee (19 points, 10 rebounds) was impressive. Speights finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds, including a couple of monster dunks, one of which was a powerful jam over McGee.
DeMar DeRozan, G, Toronto — DeRozan can get it going offensively at any moment, and that certainly was the case on Wednesday when he scored 35 points to go with six rebounds.
Remember these are high-level pickup games, so they favor the freakishly athletic. Which seems to be who keeps showing up on these lists.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1