Sep 15, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The first few days of the “lockout league” in Las Vegas — officially named the Impact Competitive Training Series but the nickname stuck — has been pretty interesting, but it lacked real star power.
Wednesday, John Wall showed up.
As he has been doing all summer long at pro-am leagues, Wall showed up and showed off his athleticism (pinned a block on the backboard), his healthy knee and an improved jumper, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Here are his list of stars from Wednesday.
John Wall, G, Washington — The former No. 1 overall pick put on a scoring show, tallying 42 points to go with nine assists and eight rebounds.
Marreese Speights, C, Philadelphia — Speights has been putting up big numbers all week, but getting it done against another young, up-and-coming center like JaVale McGee (19 points, 10 rebounds) was impressive. Speights finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds, including a couple of monster dunks, one of which was a powerful jam over McGee.
DeMar DeRozan, G, Toronto — DeRozan can get it going offensively at any moment, and that certainly was the case on Wednesday when he scored 35 points to go with six rebounds.
Remember these are high-level pickup games, so they favor the freakishly athletic. Which seems to be who keeps showing up on these lists.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10