Sep 15, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The first few days of the “lockout league” in Las Vegas — officially named the Impact Competitive Training Series but the nickname stuck — has been pretty interesting, but it lacked real star power.
Wednesday, John Wall showed up.
As he has been doing all summer long at pro-am leagues, Wall showed up and showed off his athleticism (pinned a block on the backboard), his healthy knee and an improved jumper, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Here are his list of stars from Wednesday.
John Wall, G, Washington — The former No. 1 overall pick put on a scoring show, tallying 42 points to go with nine assists and eight rebounds.
Marreese Speights, C, Philadelphia — Speights has been putting up big numbers all week, but getting it done against another young, up-and-coming center like JaVale McGee (19 points, 10 rebounds) was impressive. Speights finished with 30 points and 10 rebounds, including a couple of monster dunks, one of which was a powerful jam over McGee.
DeMar DeRozan, G, Toronto — DeRozan can get it going offensively at any moment, and that certainly was the case on Wednesday when he scored 35 points to go with six rebounds.
Remember these are high-level pickup games, so they favor the freakishly athletic. Which seems to be who keeps showing up on these lists.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25