Sep 15, 2011, 6:17 PM EDT
J.J. Redick doesn’t just have one of the NBA’s purest shooting strokes — he’s apparently one of the best gourmands in the NBA. In a recent interview with sportsandfood.com, Redick talked about how he’s become a “foodie” since his Duke days:
J.J. Redick: I was never a very adventurous eater growing up, despite the fact that my mother is a nutritionist and my parents have always had a garden in our yard. When I was at Duke, I finally had an avocado — accidentally — on a turkey sandwich. I was hooked. Next thing I know, I couldn’t get enough guacamole. Avocado was the first thing I ever ate that was outside my box. As I finished up my time at Duke, I certainly wasn’t a “foodie” but I was learning to enjoy the finer things in the culinary world.
During my third year with the Magic, I took a trip with Chelsea (my girlfriend at the time and now my wife) to Mexico and we both tried some foods we had never tried before. At that point, February of 2009, I officially became a “foodie.” Now I will try almost anything and can enjoy some different foods, such as pork jowls.
Redick goes on to name his favorite restaurants in Orlando, his favorite restaurants around the world, and his “normal” in-season diet. The least surprising part of this interview? Before retiring, Redick’s teammate Adonal Foyle was the biggest foodie in the NBA, and is also a wonderful cook. Seriously, why doesn’t Foyle have a morning show at this point?
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2