Sep 15, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
One Boston area hoopster is lucky that Celtics strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo plays pickup in the same place.
Doo (in the back of this classic picture stretching out Sam Cassell) was playing some ball at the Hyde Park Community Center in Newton Wednesday and he stepped forward when a man passed out, according to CSNNE.com.
Chuck Conley passed out during a water break and his heart stopped, when Doo grabbed the defibrillator that was hanging on the wall.
“The only part that made me nervous is when the machine said press the button, shock him,” Doo told WCVB TV. “The point is I think anybody could have done it. I think I was there, and it happened to be me.”
Doo restarted Conley’s heart before he was taken to the hospital. Conley had a clogged artery and had surgery to fix the problem.
Good on Doo.
Just a quick pubic service announcement: Automatic defibrillators are brilliant machines. I worked on a program through the Red Cross in my city to get them put in a lot of public places (the airport for example) plus in every police car and on every bus. They are simple to use and will save lives. It’s a great little thing to get involved in if you can, or to at least be aware of. In this case, some doctors who knew a guy that played pickup at this gym had paid to put the defibrillator in, and with some help from Doo one man got to go home to his family again. That is it for our public service announcements for today.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record