Sep 14, 2011, 8:17 AM EST
For once, the conversation among NBA players in Vegas wasn’t who was headed to Tao.
Like it was everywhere NBA people gathered, the talk was about the stalled talks. The implosion of hope surrounding the NBA labor negotiations.
At the Impact Competitive Training Series in Las Vegas, players were talking about it and where that leaves them. Sebastian Telfair may have summed it up best talking to Ben Goliver of Eye on Basketball.
“It sucks,” said free agent point guard Sebastian Telfair bluntly. “[I’m feeling] sadness and frustration. This is our lives, our livelihoods, this is how we make our living. Guys are not going to be able to play basketball. We all love to play basketball, we all like to compete. Everyone likes to go out there and try to play for the gold. Right now, we’re not getting the opportunity to do that.”
“Guys will look at other options,” Charlotte Bobcats guard/forward Corey Maggette told Comcast SportsNet when asked about what he anticipates will happen in the players union meeting this week. Right now, we’re unemployed. When you’re unemployed, you have to find another gig. And hopefully you can make end’s meet on the things you need to do…
“You have to be open to every option,” he said. I think it’s important. Some guys can hold out, financially wait. For me, if it’s an opportunity to play, it’s a good opportunity to stay in shape.”
The players maybe most caught in the middle are the guys just drafted. Guys like Isaiah Thomas, now of the Sacramento Kings.
“I’m mad, angry, because it feels like I’m still in college right now,” Thomas said. “I made that decision [to skip his senior season] and I got drafted but nothing has changed. I’ve got to just patiently wait. Keep it in God’s hands and hopefully it works out. Time is ticking. I’ve been patiently waiting. Hopefully if the time comes, I can get an NBA paycheck and be able to play and put on an NBA uniform.”
Thomas, the fans are angry and frustrated, too. The problem is some of them will not come back.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10