Sep 14, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT
This is what can happen when guys get max contracts and feel the need for some home improvements — Joe Johnson’s shoe closet is nicer and more secure than your apartment.
You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. It’s 500-square feet and custom built. The Hawks swingman is part of the Jordan Brand, so you know he had some nice kicks. A lot of them. Hundreds. And if you have a lot of nice kicks and a max contract what you build is a massive shoe closet for them. With fingerprint security.
“I wanted to display all of my shoes, so I had this 500-square-foot closet made. I just thought this would be a cool idea, and it would almost look like a museum. I had a fingerprint sensor put on the door to make sure I’m the only one who can get in here. I mostly wear Air Jordans. All of the Jordan guys are selected by Michael Jordan himself. It’s kind of hard to tell MJ no. I have 436 pairs of sneakers in here, and they’re mostly unworn. I’ll wear all of them eventually.”
Follow that link above just to see the picture. He has a hardwood basketball floor on the bottom of the closet — a closet that is 20-feet tall by the way. He has to bring in Dikembe Mutombo to get the stuff on the upper shelves.
Well, at least he’s putting his money to good use between this and his truck. And it should be an interesting selling point should he ever try to sell the home. Imelda Marcos might have had interest at one point.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 6
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9