Joe Johnson’s shoe closet is larger, nicer than your apartment

Sep 14, 2011, 8:10 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

This is what can happen when guys get max contracts and feel the need for some home improvements — Joe Johnson’s shoe closet is nicer and more secure than your apartment.

You think I’m kidding, but I’m not. It’s 500-square feet and custom built. The Hawks swingman is part of the Jordan Brand, so you know he had some nice kicks. A lot of them. Hundreds.  And if you have a lot of nice kicks and a max contract what you build is a massive shoe closet for them. With fingerprint security.

You still think I’m kidding? This is what Johnson told ESPN The Magazine (via Dime).

“I wanted to display all of my shoes, so I had this 500-square-foot closet made. I just thought this would be a cool idea, and it would almost look like a museum. I had a fingerprint sensor put on the door to make sure I’m the only one who can get in here. I mostly wear Air Jordans. All of the Jordan guys are selected by Michael Jordan himself. It’s kind of hard to tell MJ no. I have 436 pairs of sneakers in here, and they’re mostly unworn. I’ll wear all of them eventually.”

Follow that link above just to see the picture. He has a hardwood basketball floor on the bottom of the closet — a closet that is 20-feet tall by the way. He has to bring in Dikembe Mutombo to get the stuff on the upper shelves.

Well, at least he’s putting his money to good use between this and his truck. And it should be an interesting selling point should he ever try to sell the home. Imelda Marcos might have had interest at one point.

1. therealhtj - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM

This was leaked by the owners. No one should feel the players are getting screwed now. Nice strategy there Stern!

2. vikingsinla - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Its sad to see Mutombo’s name sullied in an article about a lesser athlete’s gratuitous shrine to narcissism. Sad, because anyone who reads anything about Dikembe Mutumbo learns what an amazing humanitarian he is. A man who used his natural size and ability to earn otherwise unthinkable wealth, then dedicated that wealth to eliminating polio and constructing a world-class hospital in his homeland. But this Johnson clown uses his wealth to build an overgrown shoe caddy, and the morons who write for this site posit that Mutumbo works there. Because he’s tall, get it? LOL!! Clearly, there’s not much for your moronic NBA writers to write about these days, but serious, this was pathetic even for you guys.

• Kurt Helin - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM

There was no offense intended at Mutombo, I think you’re kind of reaching to find any.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 15, 2011 at 2:37 AM

While I agree with everything you said about Mutombo being a great human being (which he is!) I have to agree with Kurt. It was just a joke because he was tall. It wasn’t saying in any way that he was in this type of lifestyle.

also, sweet username! Hoping for the Vikes in LA too!

3. winstonhussein - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Surely Jordan could have find someone better to represent his brand.

4. goforthanddie - Sep 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I look forward to reading about this jackass being broke.

5. supermattbjorke - Sep 15, 2011 at 7:47 PM

vikings aren’t going anywhere. Better chance of the chargers, raiders, jag’s or the rams.

• philtration - Sep 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I think you were looking for Pro Incoherent Talk.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches