Sep 14, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
Dante Cunningham‘s arrest for a smörgåsbord of minor charges in late April doesn’t exactly resonate with NBA fans; the legal troubles of a minor contributor on a non-playoff team just don’t generate all that much NBA interest against the rest of the basketball scene at that stage in the season. But Cunningham nonetheless would have to answer to two authorities — the law and the league — for his handful of alleged transgressions, a process which has naturally dragged on due to the slow turning wheel of the legal system and everyone’s favorite professional sporting lockout.
But the gradual process of one of those institutions has finally made its way to Cunningham. Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer has gleaned some news of Cunningham’s legal matters:
Based on court documents available on the internet Tuesday, Charlotte Bobcats forward Dante Cunningham will not face charges involving possession of marijuana and a pellet gun in suburban Philadelphia.
Cunningham had a court hearing in the town of Radnor Tuesday afternoon to address charges resulting from an April 29 traffic stop. At the time, he was charged with marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a pellet gun, along with unsafe equipment on his car and disorderly conduct, relating to unreasonable noise.
Tuesday, minutes into his scheduled preliminary hearing, the drug and pellet-gun charges were withdrawn. That could be a major break for Cunningham, in regards to potential discpline from the NBA, regarding drug policy.
Certainly good news for Cunningham, as an arrest such as this one can create headaches for ripple after ripple. Hopefully the news that the charges were dropped will help quash any negative impact that Cunningham’s arrest put on his NBA stock. During his time in the league, Cunningham has proven himself to be a NBA talent through and through, albeit a limited one. He may only pan out as a regular contributor off the bench, but his game has earned him a place in the big leagues, and it’d be a shame for a weird night of contraband (and pellet guns!) to discount that.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy