Chris Bosh is mature, Skip Bayless is… well, Skip Bayless

Sep 14, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

Here’s why ESPN’s Skip Bayless doesn’t bother me — his job is to be the agitator. He is supposed to go on television and say outlandish things that make you mad (and sometimes glad) and you get pissed at him, then you turn him on again the next day.

Those are also the reasons I turn the channel when Bayless comes on ESPN in the morning.

Which is why I didn’t know that Bayless was one of those guys riding Chris Bosh for being the third wheel in Miami and not being a more dominant force. Which is a position one can take and do well, like the guys at The Basketball Jones.

Bayless did it in the most Bayless of ways, nicknaming him “Bosh Spice.”

Wednesday, Chris Bosh showed up on the Cold Pizza First Take set, sat right across from Bayless and frankly had every right to put Bayless in a sleeper hold and end this match by submission. But Bosh was cool, mature, reserved and just called out Bayless saying essentially “pick on my game, not on my name.” (You can see the video at this link if you so desire.)

“My only problem is the whole misuse of the name,” Bosh said. “If I stink it up on the court…. my family takes a lot of pride in our name. My ancestors, we’re very prideful with the Bosh name. I don’t like it being made fun of. I don’t think they appreciate it, either.”

Bayless of course didn’t back down because he can’t. And wouldn’t. But Bosh came off as the adult and Bayless came off as Bayless. Enough said.

1. danvoges - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

…thanks?

2. jrmcool20 - Sep 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM

never really liked bayless ,, my nickname for him is skip WORTHLESS ,,, as for bosh ,, i have a new respect for chris b. , he went on espn and confronted wothless and was the better man ,, bosh , talked civil ,, was the ADULT , speaks very clearly and precise ,, bosh was the better MAN ,, worthless was ,,, well worthless,, i really never liked bosh to much because of the heat / lebron ,, but when bosh started speaking out last season about his team and the players , and the way he was very very adult on espn ,, i repect the man now and i can say i like bosh and glad he confronted worthless and the way he conducted himself was a class act !!! good man mr. bosh ,,, you was the man on espn !!

3. lmoneyfresh - Sep 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM

As a bulls fan, I hate the heat with a fire that burns deep inside of me, but by the end of last season I felt bad for Bosh. He actually seems like a good dude who cared about winning and not all the perks that came along with it like the other 2 egomaniacs. He played hard and stepped his game up big time in the playoffs, but just continued to get crapped on.

• sasquash20 - Sep 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Yeah I felt bad for the guy making 15-20 million a year, while I worked to jobs to take care of my daughter. Get real. Hes softer then a marsh mellow.

4. egls7 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM

God, that voice that skip has makes me want to sock him in the eye

5. sknut - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Bosh is a thoughtful and carind person. Bayless is well….Bayless…..

And can someone explain “Bosh Spice” what was he referring to, I guess I don’t get it..

• tubal22 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Back in the ’90s, there was a band called the spice girls. Each of them had a nickname, ginger spice, sporty spice, etc. One of them was Posh Spice. So “Bosh Spice” is a play on that, and it means that Bayless thinks he plays like a girl.

• mogogo1 - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Bayless is a moron. No doubt he tried long and hard to come up with any sort of play on Bosh’s name. The fact Bosh Spice was the best he could do says a lot about how terrible his other options must have been. (Was “Bosh Pit” in there?)

Bosh deserves better than Bayless…probably better than LeBron, too. He averaged 18.7 points a game last year as the third option. If that’s playing like a girl, find me some more ladies like that. The only thing holding the Heat together is the fact he’s willing to play third fiddle. If he ever goes “typical NBA star” on them and starts hogging the ball, they’ll implode instantly. Every time I hear talk about how other teams are going to go the “three superstars” route I just laugh because I doubt there’s another guy in the league who’d do what Bosh has done. There are plenty of guys who won’t accept being the second option, let alone the third.

• sasquash20 - Sep 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I hate Skippy but hes right Bosh does play like a bitch.

• hbdbrowns33 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

the spice girls. David Beckham’s wife was posh spice in the group

• therealhtj - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Ask anyone from the Toronto area – Bosh is a miserable human being.

6. pete611 - Sep 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I keep hoping if we don’t mention his name he will just go away.

Bayless shoe store!!!

Dang it!!!!!

7. 1historian - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Things I would love to see but never will:

Lock skip and howard stern in a room together and give them food laced with ex-lax.

• sasquash20 - Sep 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Stern is funny as hell. If you actually listened to him and don’t think hes funny, smart, and a great interviewer then your a jackass. I wish they would lock you in there with Skippy and you 2 could have a sword fight.

8. redbear18 - Sep 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I’m a Miami “hater”, (I just root against them because I always go for the underdog and I dislike the idea of buying a championship) but I respect the big three as individuals and as athletes. Bosh seems like he’s had a harder time than even Lebron or Wade, so I’m glad to see the manner in which he handled this situation. Good for him.

• stayhigh_247 - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM

every team in pro sports is trying to buy a ring…..it is what it is..

9. goforthanddie - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I like Bosh a little more every day.

10. stayhigh_247 - Sep 19, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Bayless is as flaming as Kanye and LIl Wayne in a kissing booth….his opinions dont count!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches