Sep 13, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
It is official — the Minnesota Timberwolves have announced that they have reached a deal with Rick Adelman to become the franchises next head coach. Sure, PBT and every other news outlet in America reported that yesterday, but now the team is confirming it.
But is Adelman doing this in spite of GM David Kahn? Or does he even have eyes on that job?
We praised Kahn for his summer, but Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo says that the Wolves got Adelman only because owner Glen Taylor stepped in and took over. Woj details how Adelman has not liked Kahn since Kahn was a beat reporter at the Oregonian while Adelman was the coach there.
“Rick would never agree to anything with Kahn,” one league official connected to Adelman said Monday. “This had to be [a deal] with Taylor. …Rick has talked many times of his dislike for Kahn….”
Adelman took the job despite Kahn, and the owner won’t let Kahn get in the way of what Adelman wants, and what he tells him needs to happen there.
Adelman also took the job because of the $5 million a year, four years guaranteed deal. Money talks and there were questions if the Wolves would step up on that count, but Taylor did.
This leads to another fun bit of speculation yet, something our man Matt Moore mused about on twitter.
At the start of this summer, Adelman mused about wanting a front office job. Right now he has a longer contract than Kahn and the ear of the owner. If Adelman says they need to make a player move and Kahn disagrees, it sounds like Adelman may have the power. And it is entirely possible Adelman will be able to push Kahn aside and take over both the coach and GM jobs.
Just something to watch.
But know that just because Kahn had a good summer and Adelman is on board in Minnesota, there is still plenty of friction and drama in that front office.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16