Sep 13, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
The summer of pro-am games is about to jump the shark. That comes when all the big names start jumping into every game, representing cities where they have no real connection.
The folks in Philadelphia should get a good show, but that seems to be what is happening for the Philly vs. Melo league contest coming up Sept. 25 on the Penn campus.
LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul are all coming to Philadelphia for the game, according to Kate Fagan of the Philadelphia Inquirer. That means it should be a good show, like Goodman vs. Melo.
It’s one thing to drop in on a couple games during the league’s season, but for Durant — who grew up playing in D.C. at the Goodman League — to rep Baltimore or Philadelphia is a sign that these big intersectional exhibition games have lost local meaning. Carmelo Anthony representing Baltimore’s ‘Melo League, that’s pretty obvious. Lou Williams of the Sixers playing for Philly, I love that.
Where do LeBron and CP3 fit in?
Maybe I’m just burnt out on the exhibition season and want some real games to start soon. Yes, I know about the lockout. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'