Sep 13, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
Apparently Lakers forward and reality television star Lamar Odom has some interest in playing in Europe next season. Also, apparently Odom does not understand how to work the direct message function of twitter.
I say that because of this tweet from Odom:
@paugasol it’s ya boy @RealLamarOdom ! My dude really want 2 talk 2 u! Really thinking about going 2 play in Europe after this season!
First, that should be a DM. Gasol responded from Lithuania where he is playing in EuroBasket (very well, we might add) and promised to call Odom.
Second, notice this is not one of those “I’ll play overseas during the lockout” things, he talks about next season. Odom is owed $8.9 million guaranteed this season and when you combine that with reality show income and life here, there is no way he is going to risk injury in Europe for a few bucks.
Next season could see changes for Odom. More likely he will see changes. He is owed $8.2 million next season but he can be bought out of that for just $2.4 million. Depending on the new labor agreement, the Lakers may need to cut salary. His deal also makes Odom some prime trade bait for a team looking to reduce payroll (and the Lakers need a point guard, so there is plenty of speculation out there). If bought out — something likely one way or another — Odom would be a free agent. And he could sign anywhere on the globe.
So Odom to Europe? Does Bravo Television have plans for “Khloe & Lamar’s European Adventure?” Episodes like “Khloe & Lamar get lost in Prague” and “Khloe & Lamar found out what was in that French food they just ate” will be ratings gold.
One note on asking Gasol about playing in Europe — he’s playing in the NBA for a reason. That reason starts with money but includes a lot of other little perks.
Most importantly, what would Bruce Jenner say?
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Vintage Dwyane Wade sighting 0
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 21
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 11
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)