Sep 13, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT
Money was always the biggest potential stumbling block to Rick Adelman coming to coach the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Minnesota has been a notoriously cheap franchise. Owner Glen Taylor has a mid-market team and he ran it on a budget. It explained things like why former coach Kurt Rambis was embarrassingly left to twist in the wind for months after this season and asked to write a report on what he planned to do — the humiliation might force Rambis to quit, then franchise saved $4 million in owed salary. (He didn’t.)
Meanwhile Adelman had been around the block and with that demanded a certain level of compensation — he wanted $5 million a year and ideally five years guaranteed. That is on the upper end of coaches’ salaries (with Phil Jackson’s outlier gone, Doc Rivers is not the highest paid at $7 million a year).
Which is why this report out of the Pioneer Press was a sign of just how badly the Timberwolves wanted Adelman.
The deal will pay Adelman $20 million over four years, and it is expected to be guaranteed during the NBA lockout.
Adelman is worth the money. Good to see the Wolves spend it.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead