Sep 13, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Over the weekend we told you about the high school drama — one that never would have made the cut as a Friday Night Lights plot — that was NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver sitting at the U.S. Open with Casey Wasserman, head of the Wasserman Media Group, which represents a number of NBA players (through agent Arn Tellem, who represents more than 30 players).
The point was that if Danny Ainge or Pat Riley or Mitch Kupchak or any other team executive sat with Wasserman fines would have rained down on them from league office. There are strict lockout rules in place to keep execs and agents apart during the lockout.
That doesn’t apply to Silver, who will not be fined according to ESPN’s Chris Broussard.
“Our rules prohibit team personnel from having contact with NBA player agents,” (NBA spokesman Mike) Bass said. “Casey Wasserman is not an NBA player agent and Adam Silver is not a team employee. There are no issues here.”
While I’d love to rip the NBA here, this is really no big deal. Adam Silver was not spilling the league’s negotiating strategy to Wasserman. Two guys sat around, watched tennis and probably made a few jokes at David Stern’s expense. Nothing wrong with that.
I get why the rules are in place (agents and teams would be trying to strike deals and arrange trades during the lockout), but it can go too far. You let execs go to player’s weddings. You allow some contact at charity events. And you let guys watch tennis together. It’s no big deal.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14