Sep 12, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:41 pm: Derek Fisher took to his twitter account late Monday afternoon to deny the report that he is set to play in the Impact Professional Training Series in Las Vegas. While he will be in Vegas for a meeting with players on Thursday, he denied he signed up to play.
While I fully support the Impact League and all the players, I have NOT committed to playing, nor can I at this point.
I’d love to play, but no plans to given my schedule of meetings and my lead role in them.
1130 am: Derek Fisher sent out a text to NBA players recently telling them to be in shape in case the owners and players can settle their differences soon. Go ahead and read that as a sign of optimism if you wish, we should have a better idea by the end of the week if that optimism is warranted.
But Fisher is not just talking the talk, he’s walking the walk.
Later on Monday, the Impact Competitive Training Series will open in Las Vegas with about 60 NBA players competing in games to get ready for the season. Fisher will be one of them, according to the Orange County Register.
Fisher will miss the first couple days due to his duties as president of the players union — there is a big meeting Tuesday in New York. Then there will be a players meeting Thursday in Las Vegas — that is where and when Fisher will be in town. And since he’s there he’s going to get a good sweat in and sharpen his game.
Fisher needs to get sharp — under Mike Brown the Lakers are going to a system that will rely more on point guard play. If he can’t handle it, his minutes will plummet. Which would be just fine with a lot of Lakers fans.
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 2
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 8
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 84
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay