Sep 12, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:41 pm: Derek Fisher took to his twitter account late Monday afternoon to deny the report that he is set to play in the Impact Professional Training Series in Las Vegas. While he will be in Vegas for a meeting with players on Thursday, he denied he signed up to play.
While I fully support the Impact League and all the players, I have NOT committed to playing, nor can I at this point.
I’d love to play, but no plans to given my schedule of meetings and my lead role in them.
1130 am: Derek Fisher sent out a text to NBA players recently telling them to be in shape in case the owners and players can settle their differences soon. Go ahead and read that as a sign of optimism if you wish, we should have a better idea by the end of the week if that optimism is warranted.
But Fisher is not just talking the talk, he’s walking the walk.
Later on Monday, the Impact Competitive Training Series will open in Las Vegas with about 60 NBA players competing in games to get ready for the season. Fisher will be one of them, according to the Orange County Register.
Fisher will miss the first couple days due to his duties as president of the players union — there is a big meeting Tuesday in New York. Then there will be a players meeting Thursday in Las Vegas — that is where and when Fisher will be in town. And since he’s there he’s going to get a good sweat in and sharpen his game.
Fisher needs to get sharp — under Mike Brown the Lakers are going to a system that will rely more on point guard play. If he can’t handle it, his minutes will plummet. Which would be just fine with a lot of Lakers fans.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8