Sep 12, 2011, 1:50 AM EDT
Despite many, many people’s predictions that Deron Williams would never play a minute for Besiktas, the Turkish team based in Istanbul, Williams in fact started his tenure with Besitkas this weekend. From NetsDaily on Saturday:
Deron Williams adventure began earlier than expected Saturday when his Besiktas Black Eagles beat perennial Euroleague power Montepaschi Siena, 93-91, in the annual Bormio Tournament in Italy. Williams scored 14 points, grabbed 8 rebounds and handed out 6 assists in 18 minutes.
Williams wasnt intending to play. He tweeted, “Went to the gym to watch the team play today! Shot around for a couple min and then decided to play and got a W ! #WhyNot” Later, he added, “Finally got a good night sleep! Going to my first practice. Played last night without knowing any plays.”
And then Sunday:
Deron Williams scored 21 points and handed out 5 assists as Besiktas was beaten, 76-67, by Spartak of St. Petersburg, Russia, Sunday but the big news was not the exhibition game, but the news D-Will tweeted right afterwards.
“Took a good fall in the game on my wrist and no pain after! #GoodSign.”
So Deron’s not dropping insane lines, as some would have predicted without really understanding the European game, but he is healthy and productive. He’s also getting paid, presumably, as you’d assume Williams would not have played without some money up front.
Williams is the first All-Star to play a minute overseas during the lockout, but is unlikely to be the last. So it’s kind of a landmark. It’s also got to be reassuring for Nets fans that the wrist was strong enough to handle contact. Williams had wrist surgery at the end of last season, and this was his first full-contact game back, though he did play in an alumni game over the summer.
So there you go. Williams actually went through with it. Now can we end the lockout so he can come back to New Jersey before he moves to Brooklyn, assuming they re-sign him and he doesn’t go elsewhere in free agency?
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 21
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9