Sep 11, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
If you believe that if there’s smoke, there’s fire, then this post is going to make you pretty happy about the state of affairs in the NBA lockout discussions. If you’re the type that believes if there’s fire, there’s fire, then this will simply give you something else to consider as nothing but white noise.
SI reports that off the heels of last week’s positive news about the CBA negotiations, Derek Fisher sent a text to indicate to the players the tone of the talks and it’s good:
On the heels of Roger Mason’s now-infamous tweet in which the NBPA vice president wrote, “Looking like a season. How u,” but later claimed his account was hacked, one league source claims that union president Derek Fisher text-messaged numerous players last week indicating that some progress had been made and imploring them to be physically prepared just in case the season started on time.
So that’s pretty good stuff.
The problem remains, though. The owners haven’t sent a new proposal. Until they do, there’s nothing for the players to evaluate. If the owners elect not to send a proposal on Tuesday, or if they send the same “lay down and submit” proposal they’ve been sending, this thing’s going to fall apart. And if it does, it’s likely both sides will take another prolonged break, this one until possibly October. Which means no preseason and we’re officially in danger of losing games. Text messages are great. Accidental tweets are good. Comments from both sides have been positive, or at least, less negative.
But nothing changes unless a substantive result comes out of talks this week. Otherwise, this is just table-setting on the Titanic.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 42
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4