Sep 11, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
If you believe that if there’s smoke, there’s fire, then this post is going to make you pretty happy about the state of affairs in the NBA lockout discussions. If you’re the type that believes if there’s fire, there’s fire, then this will simply give you something else to consider as nothing but white noise.
SI reports that off the heels of last week’s positive news about the CBA negotiations, Derek Fisher sent a text to indicate to the players the tone of the talks and it’s good:
On the heels of Roger Mason’s now-infamous tweet in which the NBPA vice president wrote, “Looking like a season. How u,” but later claimed his account was hacked, one league source claims that union president Derek Fisher text-messaged numerous players last week indicating that some progress had been made and imploring them to be physically prepared just in case the season started on time.
So that’s pretty good stuff.
The problem remains, though. The owners haven’t sent a new proposal. Until they do, there’s nothing for the players to evaluate. If the owners elect not to send a proposal on Tuesday, or if they send the same “lay down and submit” proposal they’ve been sending, this thing’s going to fall apart. And if it does, it’s likely both sides will take another prolonged break, this one until possibly October. Which means no preseason and we’re officially in danger of losing games. Text messages are great. Accidental tweets are good. Comments from both sides have been positive, or at least, less negative.
But nothing changes unless a substantive result comes out of talks this week. Otherwise, this is just table-setting on the Titanic.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47