Sep 11, 2011, 8:45 PM EST
If you believe that if there’s smoke, there’s fire, then this post is going to make you pretty happy about the state of affairs in the NBA lockout discussions. If you’re the type that believes if there’s fire, there’s fire, then this will simply give you something else to consider as nothing but white noise.
SI reports that off the heels of last week’s positive news about the CBA negotiations, Derek Fisher sent a text to indicate to the players the tone of the talks and it’s good:
On the heels of Roger Mason’s now-infamous tweet in which the NBPA vice president wrote, “Looking like a season. How u,” but later claimed his account was hacked, one league source claims that union president Derek Fisher text-messaged numerous players last week indicating that some progress had been made and imploring them to be physically prepared just in case the season started on time.
So that’s pretty good stuff.
The problem remains, though. The owners haven’t sent a new proposal. Until they do, there’s nothing for the players to evaluate. If the owners elect not to send a proposal on Tuesday, or if they send the same “lay down and submit” proposal they’ve been sending, this thing’s going to fall apart. And if it does, it’s likely both sides will take another prolonged break, this one until possibly October. Which means no preseason and we’re officially in danger of losing games. Text messages are great. Accidental tweets are good. Comments from both sides have been positive, or at least, less negative.
But nothing changes unless a substantive result comes out of talks this week. Otherwise, this is just table-setting on the Titanic.
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 0
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 1
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 4
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33