Sep 10, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
People tend to forget (or they don’t want to hear it), but LeBron James did apologize to Cleveland and fans for “how it all went down” with the decision.
Of course, those comments came in May after the Heat had eliminated the Celtics from the playoffs, and were of the sentiment that “sorry, but I had to do this to get by Boston and have a shot at a ring.” As CNBC’s Darren Rovell pointed out on his new sports business show on Versus, what was lacking from the Decision (and the pep rally and other media events that followed) was a sincere apology to Cleveland.
Rovell on his show discussed the value of apologies from athletes. Michael Vick has apologized for his part in the dog fighting rings, but has it helped him? Barry Bonds couldn’t care less what you think of him. Where does LeBron fall on that scale?
There will be some that will never forgive LeBron, but I continue to say that if the Heat win a couple of titles over the next three or four years (and he helps the USA win another gold in London) much of the public sentiment about LeBron will shift. Winning changes everything in America.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 0
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 10
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional