Sep 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
It’s pretty clear we need a massive overhaul of the players’ salaries to save the NBA owners some dough. I mean, look no further than this. Blazers owner Paul Allen is selling his private island. From Yahoo!:
Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder that ranks 57th on the Forbes World’s Billionaires list with $13 billion, is offloading his private island. Allan Island, situated near Anacortes, Wash., is back on the market and at a reduced price, reports the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and Realtor.com. Allan Island has bounced on and off the sale block since 2005, when its initial price tag was $25 million. It took a $5.5 million price chop in 2006 before re-emerging with the current $13.5 million asking price. Windmere Real Estate has the listing. Allen bought the island in 1992, reportedly to build a vacation home, before snatching up the Sperry Peninsula site on nearby Lopez Island in 1996 and abandoning his original plans.
Okay, so in reality, it’s actually got nothing to do with the lockout, he’s been trying to sell it for years. You know why? Because it’s an extra island. That’s right. Paul Allen has an extra, unnecessary island. His own private piece of land surrounded by water. If he wanted to, he could use an entire island in the San Juan’s as his personal storage locker.
How much money do these guys have? And why are they squabbling with the players over more of it? It’s just mind-boggling the kind of wealth that still exists at the owners’ level in relation to the fans whose hard-earned dollars are what actually make up the league. Players with five cars think they are the league, owners with extra islands think they are the league. Meanwhile the fans get screwed the most and they don’t even have their own private islands to go console themselves on.
Something with this picture isn’t right.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 0
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 4
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8