Sep 9, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
If you want to remember the young, almost skinny Shaquille O’Neal, you need to head on down to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (Sure, you could also go to YouTube, but Baton Rouge is a lot more fun.)
On the LSU campus Thursday they unveiled a new statue of Shaq — dunking of course — from his days as a Tiger. Back when he was thin, agile and just starting to dominate.
This is not Shaq pretending to be a statue in Boston, this is an actual statue. And while Shaq put on a few pounds as his career went on, he never got up to the 900 pounds the statue weighs. Probably.
Shaq, of course, accepted the statue with his usual subtle grace (via the LSU basketball twitter feed).
“That is the best sculpture in the country.”
Shaq nicknamed the statue “The Big Bronze.”
Shaq also told the crowd he was disappointed he could not bring a national title to Baton Rouge and that calling coach Dale Brown with the news he was going pro and not returning to LSU was one of the hardest things he has ever done.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte