Sep 9, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
Rick Adelman has interviewed twice to be the head coach in Minnesota, met the owner, he has a good relationship with the star player, likes to have his team run and just generally is the perfect fit on paper for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Yet, no deal so far.
Why not? It’s about the money. It’s always about the money. In this case, Adelman ask is for a massive contract from the small market Timberwolves. That according to Jerry Zgoda of the Star-Tribune.
Rick Adelman still looks like the favorite, but here’s the tricky part: I hear he wants at least $5 million a year, and five years — not four — guaranteed. Do the math and that’s at least $25 million, sports fans.
Weeks ago I was told (Timberwolves owner) Glen Taylor paid Flip Saunders big money — $5 million a year in his final years – and is willing to do so again with a young group he thinks the franchise can grow with. But…$25 million or more?
The report also says that if it’s not Adelman it will be Don Nelson. (If it is someone else, like Sam Mitchell, it wasn’t GM David Kahn’s call, and that is another story entirely).
If that really is the choice — Nelson or Adelman — then Adelman is worth the $25 million. Nelson is a better coach than his reputation allows, but he was terrible with young players in Golden State. He’s not the guy to trust with a young team right now, especially in comparison to Adelman.
As always with coaching search, expect the Wolves to take their time making a decision.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4