Sep 9, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
Antonio Burks was a former Memphis guard who had been out of the NBA a few years when he was shot during a dice game back in 2009.
This week, Darquan Lynneral Swift (age 20) was sentenced to 97 years for that crime, reports the Associated Press (via Eye on Basketball).
Burks testified at Swift’s trial that Swift shot him in the stomach and then tried to shoot him in the head but the gun jammed. He said he will remember Swift’s face for the rest of his life.
Burks is a Memphis guy — born there, played his high school ball there, went to the University of Memphis and he played two seasons for the Grizzlies.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 20
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 17
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 16
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5