Sep 9, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
Antonio Burks was a former Memphis guard who had been out of the NBA a few years when he was shot during a dice game back in 2009.
This week, Darquan Lynneral Swift (age 20) was sentenced to 97 years for that crime, reports the Associated Press (via Eye on Basketball).
Burks testified at Swift’s trial that Swift shot him in the stomach and then tried to shoot him in the head but the gun jammed. He said he will remember Swift’s face for the rest of his life.
Burks is a Memphis guy — born there, played his high school ball there, went to the University of Memphis and he played two seasons for the Grizzlies.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 21
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 21
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9