Sep 9, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
Antonio Burks was a former Memphis guard who had been out of the NBA a few years when he was shot during a dice game back in 2009.
This week, Darquan Lynneral Swift (age 20) was sentenced to 97 years for that crime, reports the Associated Press (via Eye on Basketball).
Burks testified at Swift’s trial that Swift shot him in the stomach and then tried to shoot him in the head but the gun jammed. He said he will remember Swift’s face for the rest of his life.
Burks is a Memphis guy — born there, played his high school ball there, went to the University of Memphis and he played two seasons for the Grizzlies.
- Son tweets Craig Sager has acute leukemia 5
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 6
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 22
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 42
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 50