Sep 9, 2011, 8:32 AM EDT
This is always the fear with a player suiting up for international ball.
Jazz center Kyrylo Fesenko — playing for Mike Fratello’s Ukrainian team at EuroBasket — was trying to body up D.J. Mbenga on the low block when his knee buckled and he fell to the ground in pain. (Follow this link to the video, if you want to see it.) It wasn’t a dirty play, just one of those things, but Fesenko went straight to the ground.
Jazz blog SLC Dunk tweets it is a torn ligament and he will be out two months, we’re trying to get another report to confirm this (a report where we don’t need Google translate). This likely would involve surgery, but again we’re trying to find some more details. Fesenko was averaging just under 10 minutes a game for the Ukraine, giving them 5 points and 2 boards a game.
Fesenko does not play a big role for the Jazz (8.6 minutes per game in the 53 games he got into last season) but this may well set him back if the lockout is solved relatively soon.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record