Sep 9, 2011, 7:39 PM EDT
Friday at EuroBasket — the Olympic qualifying tournament for Europe — meant another round of play in the Group of Death. Spain, France, Germany, Lithuania, Serbia and Turkey are all in the same group and only four of them advance on to the knockout round.
Spain and France are into the quarter finals/knockout round of EuroBasket, and after that it’s a dogfight. Here’s what happened and what it means.
Spain 84, Serbia 59: The Gasol brothers, Marc and Pau, owned this game, combining for 46 points and 25 rebounds. Nobody in EuroBasket can match that front line. When Spain is clicking, they are the best team in the tournament.
And with the win they are on to the quarterfinals (they are 3-1 in group play). They will play France for the right to be the top seed on Sunday, but if Spain plays like they did Friday it doesn’t matter who they face.
As for Serbia (1-3), it’s really simple: Beat Turkey on Sunday and they advance to the knockout round. Lose and they need help.
Germany 73, Turkey 67: Germany got its first win of this round and with it they keep their chances of advancing to the knockout round alive. By the way, Dirk Nowitzki was good but it was Philipp Schwethelm and his 11 fourth quarter points that won this.
It’s simple for Germany (1-3), beat Lithuania on Sunday and they move on to the knockout round. Despite starting this round 0-3. Of course, beating a very good Lithuanian team is no easy task (they are 2-2 this round) but that’s the job.
Turkey (1-3) needs to beat Serbia on Sunday and have Lithuania beat Germany to advance. Not getting into the final eight would be a letdown for a Turkish side that played the USA in the finals of the World Championships last summer.
France 73, Lithuania 67: France remains undefeated (4-0) and they are into the quarterfinals with this win. Tony Parker is the straw that stirs the drink, but they are getting good play from Joakim Noah, Nando De Colo (21 points in this one) and just about everyone else.
As for Lithuania, beat Germany and they are in to the next round for sure. Lose and they likely are in if Turkey beats Serbia.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31