Sep 8, 2011, 10:27 AM EST
You want your point guard to be the guy who takes charge, to be the guy who organizes his teammates and keeps them on task. You want him to be the leader.
Mike Conley seems to have taken that to heart in Memphis.
There is a buzz about the Grizzlies after last year’s playoff run and Conley has taken charge of efforts to build on that. He has organized mini-camp workouts of Grizzlies teammates so they can be ready whenever the season starts, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Conley, Rudy Gay, Tony Allen, O.J. Mayo, Zach Randolph, Xavier Henry and Sam Young reunited at a local gym early Tuesday. Ish Smith and second-round draft pick Josh Selby were expected to join the group Wednesday.
“I’ve been prepared all summer to do this,” Conley said. “It’s my job as the point guard. I want to be one of the leaders on the team. And guys did a great job of keeping their word and coming in on time ready to work. We found a good week when everybody could come back to Memphis and get some work in. We’re going to do it again going forward.”
Not everyone is there, for example Marc Gasol is still playing for Spain in EuroBasket.
Still, this is good news. Now is usually when NBA players head to their respective cities to get in workouts and play pickup with teammates at team faciliites. But thanks to the labor strife the players are locked out of those facilities. So teams are improvising — some players are going to Las Vegas for the Impact series, others are doing workouts like this.
This year the Grizzlies are not going to sneak up on anyone. People realize they are good. They only way they are taking a step forward (outside of a trade or free agent signing) is for key players to improve, and to blend more as a team. These workouts are a step
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16