Sep 8, 2011, 10:27 AM EST
You want your point guard to be the guy who takes charge, to be the guy who organizes his teammates and keeps them on task. You want him to be the leader.
Mike Conley seems to have taken that to heart in Memphis.
There is a buzz about the Grizzlies after last year’s playoff run and Conley has taken charge of efforts to build on that. He has organized mini-camp workouts of Grizzlies teammates so they can be ready whenever the season starts, reports the Commercial Appeal.
Conley, Rudy Gay, Tony Allen, O.J. Mayo, Zach Randolph, Xavier Henry and Sam Young reunited at a local gym early Tuesday. Ish Smith and second-round draft pick Josh Selby were expected to join the group Wednesday.
“I’ve been prepared all summer to do this,” Conley said. “It’s my job as the point guard. I want to be one of the leaders on the team. And guys did a great job of keeping their word and coming in on time ready to work. We found a good week when everybody could come back to Memphis and get some work in. We’re going to do it again going forward.”
Not everyone is there, for example Marc Gasol is still playing for Spain in EuroBasket.
Still, this is good news. Now is usually when NBA players head to their respective cities to get in workouts and play pickup with teammates at team faciliites. But thanks to the labor strife the players are locked out of those facilities. So teams are improvising — some players are going to Las Vegas for the Impact series, others are doing workouts like this.
This year the Grizzlies are not going to sneak up on anyone. People realize they are good. They only way they are taking a step forward (outside of a trade or free agent signing) is for key players to improve, and to blend more as a team. These workouts are a step
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 32
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6