Sep 7, 2011, 4:48 PM EST
Now the NBA lockout is screwing up your video games.
While players of the NBA 2K12 video game will be able to reach into the past and pull in 15 legends of the game, they cannot go into the future. Because of licensing rights, rookies will not be part of the original release of NBA 2K12.
That will change with a patch when deals are signed, but for now you lose out according to sports video game site pastapadre.com. (via I am a GM)
Unlike the NFL Lockout, where EA Sports had rights to rookies for Madden NFL 12 regardless of whether there would be a season or not, the NBA lockout will cost its league licensed video game from introducing the incoming rookies. NBA 2K12 will not include any of the rookies drafted in June – as confirmed through a blog posting at Operation Sports from a long-time member who attended a PR event for the game yesterday.
The plan would be to add the rookies through a roster update – but that could only be done once the lockout is lifted and at this point that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. In the meantime players like #1 pick Kyrie Irving, #2 pick Derrick Williams, Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette and all those chosen in the 2011 NBA Draft will be absent from NBA 2K12.
So, your chance to match up Jimmer and Michael Jordan must wait. But we can tell you how it ends if you want.
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 2
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 11
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 12
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)