Sep 7, 2011, 4:48 PM EST
Now the NBA lockout is screwing up your video games.
While players of the NBA 2K12 video game will be able to reach into the past and pull in 15 legends of the game, they cannot go into the future. Because of licensing rights, rookies will not be part of the original release of NBA 2K12.
That will change with a patch when deals are signed, but for now you lose out according to sports video game site pastapadre.com. (via I am a GM)
Unlike the NFL Lockout, where EA Sports had rights to rookies for Madden NFL 12 regardless of whether there would be a season or not, the NBA lockout will cost its league licensed video game from introducing the incoming rookies. NBA 2K12 will not include any of the rookies drafted in June – as confirmed through a blog posting at Operation Sports from a long-time member who attended a PR event for the game yesterday.
The plan would be to add the rookies through a roster update – but that could only be done once the lockout is lifted and at this point that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. In the meantime players like #1 pick Kyrie Irving, #2 pick Derrick Williams, Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette and all those chosen in the 2011 NBA Draft will be absent from NBA 2K12.
So, your chance to match up Jimmer and Michael Jordan must wait. But we can tell you how it ends if you want.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20