Sep 6, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is the key to Spain’s chance of winning the European championship and one of the two 2012 Olympics bids they are handing out at the event — with him they are undefeated, without him (out with an ankle injury) they fell to Turkey.
Normally, EuroBasket would end and Gasol would fly straight to Los Angeles to join his Laker teammates in getting ready for the season. Not this year. Thank you very much lockout.
Over at the Los Angeles Times they asked Gasol about how he feels having a new coach in Mike Brown this season. Brown has talked about getting away from the triangle offense, instead using elements of the offense the Spurs used when they had David Robinson and Tim Duncan together.
I have played for many different coaches both in the NBA and in Europe, and I have good fundamentals both defensively and offensively. If there’s more activity, there won’t be a problem at all. The most important thing though is always involving the whole team and getting as much as possible from every player. We have a powerful interior game, and we need to produce at a high level.
The bigger question is when he will get to learn that offense? When will the lockout end? Gasol went Sheridan and said he was optimistic there would be a season.
I hope so. It’s good for everybody to have an NBA season. I’m optimistic that there will be an agreement and there will be a season, I hope it’s just a matter of time.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 6
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 18
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25