Sep 6, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is the key to Spain’s chance of winning the European championship and one of the two 2012 Olympics bids they are handing out at the event — with him they are undefeated, without him (out with an ankle injury) they fell to Turkey.
Normally, EuroBasket would end and Gasol would fly straight to Los Angeles to join his Laker teammates in getting ready for the season. Not this year. Thank you very much lockout.
Over at the Los Angeles Times they asked Gasol about how he feels having a new coach in Mike Brown this season. Brown has talked about getting away from the triangle offense, instead using elements of the offense the Spurs used when they had David Robinson and Tim Duncan together.
I have played for many different coaches both in the NBA and in Europe, and I have good fundamentals both defensively and offensively. If there’s more activity, there won’t be a problem at all. The most important thing though is always involving the whole team and getting as much as possible from every player. We have a powerful interior game, and we need to produce at a high level.
The bigger question is when he will get to learn that offense? When will the lockout end? Gasol went Sheridan and said he was optimistic there would be a season.
I hope so. It’s good for everybody to have an NBA season. I’m optimistic that there will be an agreement and there will be a season, I hope it’s just a matter of time.
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14