Sep 6, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is the key to Spain’s chance of winning the European championship and one of the two 2012 Olympics bids they are handing out at the event — with him they are undefeated, without him (out with an ankle injury) they fell to Turkey.
Normally, EuroBasket would end and Gasol would fly straight to Los Angeles to join his Laker teammates in getting ready for the season. Not this year. Thank you very much lockout.
Over at the Los Angeles Times they asked Gasol about how he feels having a new coach in Mike Brown this season. Brown has talked about getting away from the triangle offense, instead using elements of the offense the Spurs used when they had David Robinson and Tim Duncan together.
I have played for many different coaches both in the NBA and in Europe, and I have good fundamentals both defensively and offensively. If there’s more activity, there won’t be a problem at all. The most important thing though is always involving the whole team and getting as much as possible from every player. We have a powerful interior game, and we need to produce at a high level.
The bigger question is when he will get to learn that offense? When will the lockout end? Gasol went Sheridan and said he was optimistic there would be a season.
I hope so. It’s good for everybody to have an NBA season. I’m optimistic that there will be an agreement and there will be a season, I hope it’s just a matter of time.
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 0
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 13
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29