Sep 6, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
This isn’t a fun, safe little bit of run in the gym. EuroBasket, FIBA Americas and other tournaments going on right now with NBA players are real competition. But there are risks with competition, especially serious competition where there is a something at stake. Like national pride and Olympic berths. People get hurt.
We have seen a handful of injuries the last few days during international competitions, one serious. What follows is a little roundup.
• Pau Gasol is day-to-day with a sprained ankle. It was obvious during Spain’s loss to Turkey on Monday how much they need Gasol to be the focal point of the offense. With a couple days off in EuroBasket, expect Gasol to be back for Spain, which needs a couple win in its next three games to advance to the knockout round.
• Zaza Pachulia is also day-to-day for Georgia after suffering a leg injury. Georgia got a little help so they advanced to the next round and Group F, but they are going to need a healthy (or reasonably so) Pachulia to get past this level.
• At FIBA Americas, former Louisville star and current Dominican Republic guard Edgar Sosa broke his leg in a brutal fashion. (If you want to see the video, it is here, but don’t click that link if you are about to eat.) It is officially a broken tibia and he was rushed to the hospital moments after the injury took place. Sosa had played professionally in Italy last season and was hoping to get a shot in the NBA (he played for the Pistons in the 2010 Summer League) but now he may not play anywhere next season.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 18
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 38
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 63
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 59
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40