Sep 6, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
This isn’t a fun, safe little bit of run in the gym. EuroBasket, FIBA Americas and other tournaments going on right now with NBA players are real competition. But there are risks with competition, especially serious competition where there is a something at stake. Like national pride and Olympic berths. People get hurt.
We have seen a handful of injuries the last few days during international competitions, one serious. What follows is a little roundup.
• Pau Gasol is day-to-day with a sprained ankle. It was obvious during Spain’s loss to Turkey on Monday how much they need Gasol to be the focal point of the offense. With a couple days off in EuroBasket, expect Gasol to be back for Spain, which needs a couple win in its next three games to advance to the knockout round.
• Zaza Pachulia is also day-to-day for Georgia after suffering a leg injury. Georgia got a little help so they advanced to the next round and Group F, but they are going to need a healthy (or reasonably so) Pachulia to get past this level.
• At FIBA Americas, former Louisville star and current Dominican Republic guard Edgar Sosa broke his leg in a brutal fashion. (If you want to see the video, it is here, but don’t click that link if you are about to eat.) It is officially a broken tibia and he was rushed to the hospital moments after the injury took place. Sosa had played professionally in Italy last season and was hoping to get a shot in the NBA (he played for the Pistons in the 2010 Summer League) but now he may not play anywhere next season.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars