Sep 5, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT
Monday’s game between Venezuela and Puerto Rico at the FIBA America’s Tournament carried a lot of weight – Puerto Rico is fighting for one of the two 2012 Olympics berths from the event, Venezuela is battling with Canada and Uruguay to get fifth place and the invite to the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament next year.
Which explains the tensions why Renaldo Balkman (he of the Knicks) headbutted Greivis Vasquez (of the Grizzlies) after a hard foul. As should be the case, Balkman was ejected — it was a hard foul but you can’t lose your head. Or headbutt.
By the way, Puerto Rico won the game 94-82.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37