Sep 5, 2011, 11:26 PM EST
Monday’s game between Venezuela and Puerto Rico at the FIBA America’s Tournament carried a lot of weight – Puerto Rico is fighting for one of the two 2012 Olympics berths from the event, Venezuela is battling with Canada and Uruguay to get fifth place and the invite to the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament next year.
Which explains the tensions why Renaldo Balkman (he of the Knicks) headbutted Greivis Vasquez (of the Grizzlies) after a hard foul. As should be the case, Balkman was ejected — it was a hard foul but you can’t lose your head. Or headbutt.
By the way, Puerto Rico won the game 94-82.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 7
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 9
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9