Sep 5, 2011, 11:26 PM EST
Monday’s game between Venezuela and Puerto Rico at the FIBA America’s Tournament carried a lot of weight – Puerto Rico is fighting for one of the two 2012 Olympics berths from the event, Venezuela is battling with Canada and Uruguay to get fifth place and the invite to the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament next year.
Which explains the tensions why Renaldo Balkman (he of the Knicks) headbutted Greivis Vasquez (of the Grizzlies) after a hard foul. As should be the case, Balkman was ejected — it was a hard foul but you can’t lose your head. Or headbutt.
By the way, Puerto Rico won the game 94-82.
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 4
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 6
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 40
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18