Sep 5, 2011, 11:26 PM EST
Monday’s game between Venezuela and Puerto Rico at the FIBA America’s Tournament carried a lot of weight – Puerto Rico is fighting for one of the two 2012 Olympics berths from the event, Venezuela is battling with Canada and Uruguay to get fifth place and the invite to the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament next year.
Which explains the tensions why Renaldo Balkman (he of the Knicks) headbutted Greivis Vasquez (of the Grizzlies) after a hard foul. As should be the case, Balkman was ejected — it was a hard foul but you can’t lose your head. Or headbutt.
By the way, Puerto Rico won the game 94-82.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7