Sep 5, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT
There are so many NBA players both talking to and signing with overseas teams that we collect them in an occasional roundup. We bring you the Labor Day edition, because nothing says Labor Day like barbeque and bullet points.
• Corey Maggette has been flirting with Greek team PAOK for a while, but things are now looking serious. He flew to Greece to meet with team officials and talk about a salary that would be $415,000 per month plus a cut of jersey sales. Good sign — hundreds of fans greeted Maggette’s plane at the airport to cheer him on.
• Mavericks swingman Corey Brewer is in talks with a couple of teams in the Spanish ABC league. Brewer isn’t going to make in Spain the $5.2 million he’d make in the NBA next season, so there will be an out clause. Not that the Mavericks would really care if there were not.
• Josh Powell has signed with Liaoning in China, which means he is set to spend the full season in China. The power forward played for the Hawks last season but was not really in their plans going forward. He likely would have landed a minimum salary bench job somewhere in the league, but this is a guaranteed payday.
• Raptors big man Alexis Ajinca is apparently close to a deal to play for Blancos de Rueda Valladolid in Spain. Ajinca would need an NBA out as the Raptors have him next season at $2.3 million. Ajinca is a guy with great NBA size and athleticism who is trying to learn the game still. He’s a good risk for the Raptors because of that.
• B.J. Mullens, the center who has spent the last two seasons in Oklahoma City unable to get off the bench, has signed to play with Panionios in Greece. He has a $1.2 million deal with the Thunder for next season, so he’ll have an NBA out. This is good for him, he needs to play if he is going to develop and get off that Thunder bench and contribute.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 21
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 19
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 13
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20