Sep 5, 2011, 12:41 PM EDT
There are so many NBA players both talking to and signing with overseas teams that we collect them in an occasional roundup. We bring you the Labor Day edition, because nothing says Labor Day like barbeque and bullet points.
• Corey Maggette has been flirting with Greek team PAOK for a while, but things are now looking serious. He flew to Greece to meet with team officials and talk about a salary that would be $415,000 per month plus a cut of jersey sales. Good sign — hundreds of fans greeted Maggette’s plane at the airport to cheer him on.
• Mavericks swingman Corey Brewer is in talks with a couple of teams in the Spanish ABC league. Brewer isn’t going to make in Spain the $5.2 million he’d make in the NBA next season, so there will be an out clause. Not that the Mavericks would really care if there were not.
• Josh Powell has signed with Liaoning in China, which means he is set to spend the full season in China. The power forward played for the Hawks last season but was not really in their plans going forward. He likely would have landed a minimum salary bench job somewhere in the league, but this is a guaranteed payday.
• Raptors big man Alexis Ajinca is apparently close to a deal to play for Blancos de Rueda Valladolid in Spain. Ajinca would need an NBA out as the Raptors have him next season at $2.3 million. Ajinca is a guy with great NBA size and athleticism who is trying to learn the game still. He’s a good risk for the Raptors because of that.
• B.J. Mullens, the center who has spent the last two seasons in Oklahoma City unable to get off the bench, has signed to play with Panionios in Greece. He has a $1.2 million deal with the Thunder for next season, so he’ll have an NBA out. This is good for him, he needs to play if he is going to develop and get off that Thunder bench and contribute.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30