Miami to make a run at Nene in free agency… yes, it’s a longshot

Sep 4, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Nene has been very clear that as the most coveted free agent in this upcoming class — whenever we get into a condensed, hurried free agency period post lockout — money is not going to be his deciding factor. He wants to win. It’s not about the money.

I’m sure he means it. That said, it’s always about the money. Always.

Nene may well have the chance to put his words to the test — the Miami Heat want to make a run at him, according to the Miami Herald.

Though the Heat isn’t very optimistic about its chances, expect one of the Miami’s first post- lockout calls will be to Denver free agent center Nene, who opted out of his $11.6 million contract for next season. It’s difficult to see Nene accepting a mid-level exception from Miami if there is a $6 million one in the new labor deal, but he told us previously that Miami is appealing to him.

If it is honestly all about winning, Miami would be a good landing spot of him. They went to the NBA finals last year. He would provide the defensive presence in the paint and the rebounding the Heat need to take the next step. He would be another offensive option, a guy who can pull opposing big men away from the paint. On the court, he fits.

But the money — Nene gave up $11.6 million and you don’t do that unless you expect a raise. We don’t know what the Heat will be able to offer under the new Collective Bargaining agreement, but it will not be the max or near max that other teams can throw at Nene (and keeping him is a Nuggets priority). Would the Brazilian center really leave tens of millions over the course of a deal on the table for a good shot at a ring?

Everyone says it’s about the winning, but when it comes time to sign things are different.

1. redbear18 - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Oh, come on! It’s not “yea”, it’s “yeah”. I thought you guys were professional writers. Oh well, I guess it’s better than “ya”. Also, Nene to Miami is never gonna happen. Trying to buy a championship only goes so far.

2. david8726 - Sep 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I wish it would happen just because it would make all the Heat haters heads explode.

3. goforthanddie - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Why would he go to Miami, he isn’t a has-been or never-was.

• david8726 - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Bitter?

• goforthanddie - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:29 AM

About what? Not having the league leader in choking and public stupidity on my team? Only having 3 guys on the roster that would be starters anywhere else?

• david8726 - Sep 5, 2011 at 3:42 AM

No. Bitter that, despite what you claim, they’re really good and will be really good for a long time. Finishing as the second best team in the NBA is a nice accomplishment when it’s your first year as a team.

You stalk this blog, posting the same negativity in every single thread that gets made about the Heat or LeBron. It’s like clockwork. Heat thread appears – You will soon be there posting negativity.

Are you a cavaliers fan? Or just some guy who’s for some reason made it his mission to bash on the Heat till the end of time?

Either way, it’s obvious that you’ve got a pretty serious fixation on hating Miami. Or as I said…. you’re still bitter about their whole existence.

• goforthanddie - Sep 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM

1-THEY aren’t really good. 2.75 of their players are. They have to practically beg guys to fill out the roster, and we see what caliber of player you get from begging.
        2-When you have “3” of the 10 best players in the league, 2nd place isn’t a good year, it’s first loser. They weren’t brought to Miami to start building a winner, they were put together to win NOW. “First year as a team”? I’d give you that, if they played like a team. But it’s just two guys and some obstacles for defense. Why give Bosh a cushy deal then ignore him all season? And after a whole season, they STILL never learned to not give leb the ball in the 4th? There’s obviously not much learning going on there.
        3-For me to post negativity, there has to be a prior post of positivity. Perhaps you haven’t noticed the jock-riding that passes for journalism here, you being so busy monitoring my posting habits and all. Which brings me to…
        4-Out of all the people who post here regularly, you single me out. That’s disturbing. I’m far from alone in my views, yet I’m chosen. Practicing your stalking technique from the comfort of your desk? Seems like you’re doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. Hypocrisy is bad, mmkay?
        5-I couldn’t give half a crap about Cleveland. I honestly have nothing against Miami. If you’d actually been paying attention while you poured through my postings, you would have noticed my venom is aimed at leb. He’s as stupid as he is talented, and he’s sadly dragging Wade down to his level. I used to give Bosh crap for being more of a pussy than leb, but after the finals I realized he was the only one who really cared, and regularly praise him. Funny you never saw those, as closely as you’ve followed me.

In short, as long as leb is in Miami, and until they win a title, Miami will unfortunately catch some unpleasantness that splashes off the Queen. If that bothers you, tell leb to grow up, shut up, and put up. And do have fun with your stalking, at least you aren’t troubling any ladies.

4. jmclarkent - Sep 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM

If the NBA is able to institute a “Franchise Tag” during this lockout, he can kiss that dream goodbye.

5. urodaddy07 - Sep 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Logic suggests that this won’t happen. he would have to be willing to take almost a 50% pay cut. I could see him taking a pay cut but not that much of a pay cut.

• kast2l - Sep 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM

i agree but he could always take a 1 year deal for a run at it and still get a pay day the next year but risk injury and prob a lot more guaranteed money, but doubtful

• david8726 - Sep 5, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Yea its not happening. He’d be sacrificing way too much money.

Haslem left a lot of money to stay with Miami, but he only did that because he’s from down there, is great friends with Dwyane, and loves the team.

Free agents from the outside won’t be willing to leave lots of money on the table in their major contract years, even if it does mean contending for titles.

6. mannyfresh209 - Sep 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Could have sworn that LeBron took a huge pay cut to come to Miami and try winning. He’s not from Miami, or anywhere near it.

Crazier things have happened.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches