Sep 4, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
We have our first real upset of EuroBasket, just as things are starting to get interesting (Lithuania vs. Spain and Germany vs. Serbia Sunday, for example).
Macedonia 72, Greece 58: This is a pretty big upset — Macedonia had never won a EuroBasket game before this tournament, while in recent years Greece has been one of the better teams in Europe (it was just five years ago they upset the USA at the FIBA World Championship semi-finals). But a good rule of thumb is if you shoot 31 percent from the field as a team for the game, you’re going to lose. That said, this was close until the fourth courter, when Macedonia pulled away. Macedonia is now 2-1 in group play (same record as Greece) and they have a good chance of advancing to the knockout round, which is a huge win for them.
Slovenia 87, Georgia 75: Slovenia is now 3-0, tied with Russia atop Group D and almost certainly headed to the knockout round. And they are a team to be feared there. That said, the Rockets Goran Dragic is not wowing anyone in this tournament, with a 1-8 shooting performance Saturday, which leaves him shooting 32 percent for the tournament (but he is 7-of-14 from three).
Russia 79, Belgium 58: No real shock here, and Russia is now 3-0 and headed to the next round. By the way, Timofey Mozgov has been solid, scoring 5.7 points per game on 61.5 percent shooting and pulling down three boards per contest in limited minutes.
In other action: Croatia 87, Montenegro 81; Finland 92, Bosnia Herzegovina 64; Ukraine 67, Bulgaria 56 (a win for Mike Fratello’s team).
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 7
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 3
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23