Sep 4, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
We have our first real upset of EuroBasket, just as things are starting to get interesting (Lithuania vs. Spain and Germany vs. Serbia Sunday, for example).
Macedonia 72, Greece 58: This is a pretty big upset — Macedonia had never won a EuroBasket game before this tournament, while in recent years Greece has been one of the better teams in Europe (it was just five years ago they upset the USA at the FIBA World Championship semi-finals). But a good rule of thumb is if you shoot 31 percent from the field as a team for the game, you’re going to lose. That said, this was close until the fourth courter, when Macedonia pulled away. Macedonia is now 2-1 in group play (same record as Greece) and they have a good chance of advancing to the knockout round, which is a huge win for them.
Slovenia 87, Georgia 75: Slovenia is now 3-0, tied with Russia atop Group D and almost certainly headed to the knockout round. And they are a team to be feared there. That said, the Rockets Goran Dragic is not wowing anyone in this tournament, with a 1-8 shooting performance Saturday, which leaves him shooting 32 percent for the tournament (but he is 7-of-14 from three).
Russia 79, Belgium 58: No real shock here, and Russia is now 3-0 and headed to the next round. By the way, Timofey Mozgov has been solid, scoring 5.7 points per game on 61.5 percent shooting and pulling down three boards per contest in limited minutes.
In other action: Croatia 87, Montenegro 81; Finland 92, Bosnia Herzegovina 64; Ukraine 67, Bulgaria 56 (a win for Mike Fratello’s team).
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 2
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 22
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement