Sep 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Count this among the things I didn’t know, but should have. The Celtics haven’t hosted an All-Star Game since 1964. That’s pretty crazy considering it’s been NBA Town since the inception of the league. Apparently there’s been a longstanding dispute with the co-tenant Bruins that have prevented the game from coming to town. Teams have to apply to host the game, and the Celtics haven’t. But now the Mayor of Boston has come out and said he wants the game back. From the Globe:
It is believed that ownership squabbles between the Celtics and the Bruins, as well as disagreements with the mayor over the past several years, have grounded any plans for the February classic to return to Boston. But Mayor Thomas Menino said the days of infighting within Boston’s sports and political infrastructure are over.
“We haven’t had it since ’64 and I think we’re ready for it,’’ Menino said. “We have new ownership, new enthusiasm, the fan base out here for it, and I just think we have the facility and everything ready to go.
“I hope that the NBA makes the decision in the near future to bring the All-Star Game to our city.’’
Most people will react pretty violently to this. The game is considered the same way the Super Bowl is. It’s supposed to be in a warm weather, party city. Boston ain’t that. Surprisingly, media members who often complain about the location are likely to support the move, particularly if they’re a guy who talks about sports from Boston. It’ll be seen as an homage to the history of the game. But Boston in February isn’t exactly the party location most are thinking, and considering how big of a destination vacation it’s become for so many, that could cause problems.
We’ll have to see if the Celtics get on the list following the 2013 game, which will be held in Houston.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7