Sep 3, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett is doing the media rounds this week, talking about everything from how he almost joined the Lakers, to his future in basketball. In an interview with the Boston Globe, Garnett gave the token lines about how the union is “really united” this time, said he wanted to retire with the Celtics, and then gave some insight into the fact that the end of his career is closer than you might think.
When asked if he would play past next season, Garnett said with a giggle: “My body and I gotta actually have a one-on-one to see future-wise where I’m at and what I want to do. So, I will make that decision.’’
This is very much in the theme of Garnett’s statements historically. Surprisingly, he’s not the type to talk about playing till he’s 40, or want to hold on as long as possible. For as psychotic as he is on the floor, he’s surprisingly level-headed off the court. When it’s time to go, he’ll likely head off. He’s on his championship ring, won his MVPs, made his money. His investment in this CBA is primarily to protect players like they did for him in ’99. There’s a sense of obligation there, whether you think it’s misplaced or not.
Statements like this, as joking as it may have been, also gives you an idea of why the Celtics have already started looking to the future by obtaining the Clippers’ pick, getting Jeff Green (hold your comments, please), and clearing space for 2012. The Big 3 Era’s not over. But you can sense the closing scene opening up.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13