Sep 3, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett is doing the media rounds this week, talking about everything from how he almost joined the Lakers, to his future in basketball. In an interview with the Boston Globe, Garnett gave the token lines about how the union is “really united” this time, said he wanted to retire with the Celtics, and then gave some insight into the fact that the end of his career is closer than you might think.
When asked if he would play past next season, Garnett said with a giggle: “My body and I gotta actually have a one-on-one to see future-wise where I’m at and what I want to do. So, I will make that decision.’’
This is very much in the theme of Garnett’s statements historically. Surprisingly, he’s not the type to talk about playing till he’s 40, or want to hold on as long as possible. For as psychotic as he is on the floor, he’s surprisingly level-headed off the court. When it’s time to go, he’ll likely head off. He’s on his championship ring, won his MVPs, made his money. His investment in this CBA is primarily to protect players like they did for him in ’99. There’s a sense of obligation there, whether you think it’s misplaced or not.
Statements like this, as joking as it may have been, also gives you an idea of why the Celtics have already started looking to the future by obtaining the Clippers’ pick, getting Jeff Green (hold your comments, please), and clearing space for 2012. The Big 3 Era’s not over. But you can sense the closing scene opening up.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?