Sep 3, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett is doing the media rounds this week, talking about everything from how he almost joined the Lakers, to his future in basketball. In an interview with the Boston Globe, Garnett gave the token lines about how the union is “really united” this time, said he wanted to retire with the Celtics, and then gave some insight into the fact that the end of his career is closer than you might think.
When asked if he would play past next season, Garnett said with a giggle: “My body and I gotta actually have a one-on-one to see future-wise where I’m at and what I want to do. So, I will make that decision.’’
This is very much in the theme of Garnett’s statements historically. Surprisingly, he’s not the type to talk about playing till he’s 40, or want to hold on as long as possible. For as psychotic as he is on the floor, he’s surprisingly level-headed off the court. When it’s time to go, he’ll likely head off. He’s on his championship ring, won his MVPs, made his money. His investment in this CBA is primarily to protect players like they did for him in ’99. There’s a sense of obligation there, whether you think it’s misplaced or not.
Statements like this, as joking as it may have been, also gives you an idea of why the Celtics have already started looking to the future by obtaining the Clippers’ pick, getting Jeff Green (hold your comments, please), and clearing space for 2012. The Big 3 Era’s not over. But you can sense the closing scene opening up.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4