Sep 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
We’re just a couple days into EuroBasket, but if favorite Spain goes on to win the gold medal, Pau Gasol is headed to being named MVP of the tournament. He has looked like the old Gasol — not the one from the Dallas series in the playoffs — with a plethora of moves around the rim and a good midrange shot.
And if the NBA lockout drags on for a full season, he is taking those skills to Barcelona. Probably.
Not really a surprise. Gasol’s attitude is that of a lot of top NBA stars — they want to see how the lockout plays out for a little while, now that talks are getting serious, then make a decision if things look bleak in a couple months. The problem with that is a lot of the top European teams will have a set roster and may well not want to rent a player for half a season.
That said, Gasol may be the exception as he played in Barcelona before coming to the NBA. But there have been no formal talks between the sides. Yet.
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 0
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 18
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 28
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1