Sep 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
We’re just a couple days into EuroBasket, but if favorite Spain goes on to win the gold medal, Pau Gasol is headed to being named MVP of the tournament. He has looked like the old Gasol — not the one from the Dallas series in the playoffs — with a plethora of moves around the rim and a good midrange shot.
And if the NBA lockout drags on for a full season, he is taking those skills to Barcelona. Probably.
Not really a surprise. Gasol’s attitude is that of a lot of top NBA stars — they want to see how the lockout plays out for a little while, now that talks are getting serious, then make a decision if things look bleak in a couple months. The problem with that is a lot of the top European teams will have a set roster and may well not want to rent a player for half a season.
That said, Gasol may be the exception as he played in Barcelona before coming to the NBA. But there have been no formal talks between the sides. Yet.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85