Sep 2, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
We’re just a couple days into EuroBasket, but if favorite Spain goes on to win the gold medal, Pau Gasol is headed to being named MVP of the tournament. He has looked like the old Gasol — not the one from the Dallas series in the playoffs — with a plethora of moves around the rim and a good midrange shot.
And if the NBA lockout drags on for a full season, he is taking those skills to Barcelona. Probably.
Not really a surprise. Gasol’s attitude is that of a lot of top NBA stars — they want to see how the lockout plays out for a little while, now that talks are getting serious, then make a decision if things look bleak in a couple months. The problem with that is a lot of the top European teams will have a set roster and may well not want to rent a player for half a season.
That said, Gasol may be the exception as he played in Barcelona before coming to the NBA. But there have been no formal talks between the sides. Yet.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)