Sep 2, 2011, 1:08 AM EDT
Day two and not a lot of surprises, we’re starting to see the cream separate itself. But there are some big tests out there to come yet.
German 76, Italy 62: This should sound pretty familiar to Mavericks fans — Dirk Nowitzki is always going to be good, the question is how much help will he get. He got it Thursday, with 17 points, 17 boards from Chris Kaman. Italy tried to stay in this with threes, but was just 6-of-25 from deep (24 percent). In a big game Andrea Bargnani was 3-for-14 shooting, and Raptors fans just nod.
Spain 87, Portugal 73: Spain won for the second day in a row behind Pau Gasol, who dropped 20 and had 9 boards — good news for Lakers fans. Spain won for the second day in a row with Ricky Rubio being basically a no-show (5 points, 4 boards and 2 assists) — look away Timberwolves fans. Spain is now 2-0, but they have yet to be challenged. And that will not change Friday with Great Britian. But tests are coming.
Serbia 92, Latvia 77: Nenad Kristic (you remember him, right Oklahoma City?) led Serbia with 23. He has more offensive game than he got to show off in OKC. Serbia is 2-0 and looking pretty good.
Turkey 90, Great Britain 61: Turkey is 2-0 and I’m trying to read to much into that because it’s two games against not the toughest competition, but they could be good. They have a balanced team. Britain does not, it has Luol Deng, who had 22 points and 8 boards, but he can only do so much himself.
France 85, Israel 68: Tony Parker has 21 points and 8 assists and this is two games in a row that France has had plenty of offense and looked good. France also got an impressive game up front from Boris Diaw.
Russia 65, Georgia 58: This was great because you could feel the rivalry. For the second game in a row Andrei Kirilenko was the best player on the floor and scored 20 points. Zaza Pachulia was 3-for-11 shooting, which held Georgia back.
In other action: Bosnia Herzegovinia 94, Montenegro 86; Bulgaria 68, Belum 65; Greece 81, Finland 61 (Greece is now 2-0); Lithuania 97, Poland 77 (Lithuania is 2-0); Macedonia 78, Croatia 76.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18