Sep 1, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
Eventually, Yao Ming will be welcomed into the basketball Hall of Fame.
If you just rolled your eyes, remember this is not just an NBA Hall of Fame. (We need one of those, but that is a separate issue.) What Yao did to bridge the NBA with China and help the sport grow in the largest nation in the world earns him a pass. (Plus, he was a really great center when healthy.)
But don’t give him that pass just yet.
After he retired this summer there was talk of putting him in the Hall as part of next year’s class, skipping the five years out of the game requirement for most players.
But Yao doesn’t want that and his agent has asked the Hall to put any nomination off for a year.
“He (Huizinga) indicated that Yao has great respect for the institution and equal respect for those elected before his consideration,” (Hall of Fame president and CEO John) Doleva said. “He just feels that it’s too soon to be considered as a contributor.”
Class. If nothing else, Yao was always classy. That has not changed with his retirement.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte