Sep 1, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
The average NBA player is going to have to get by for a while on the $2.3 million he earned last year (that is the median NBA salary). The owners are going to have to get by on their billions. Both sides can afford for this lockout to drag out a while.
They’re not the ones that are screwed (well, not until they see post-lockout television ratings and realize what they did to the game). The people really getting screwed are the many out there who make their living tied to the NBA in some fashion. People who just want basketball and don’t have a dog in the labor fight.
People like Timothy Davey, general manager of the Spirit of ’77 sports bar in Portland near the Rose Garden in Portland. Davey talked with the Portland Tribune.
Spirit of ’77 manager Davey says no business in town would be more affected by a prolonged NBA lockout than his. “If it gets to the point where there’s not an NBA season, it will have a dramatic effect on the vitality and future of Spirit of ’77,” Davey says.
People will spend their discretionary money, they just won’t spend it on the NBA (or at the Spirit of ’77). Some of those people will like what they start spending on and when the NBA does return it will get less of that money.
But in the process some innocent people will get hurt. Badly. Ticket takers and security guards and scouts and many others.
And the guys that own and run cool bars near the arenas.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13