Sep 1, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
The Utah Jazz have been running Jerry Sloan’s flex offense since roughly the Cretaceous period, and that continued last season when Sloan unexpectedly resigned mid-season and Tyrone Corbin slid over into the big chair.
But is it time for a change?
Hornacek said Corbin could make changes to Jazz’s offensive and defensive schemes, moving to systems that better fit current roster.
Favors is a tremendous athlete who, both in New Jersey and in Utah, got a high percentage of his offense off cuts (27.4 percent of his shots with the Jazz) and converted on a high rate of those (he shot 64.3 percent on those shots with the Jazz). Favors got more shots that way in Utah at the expense of being the roll man in the pick-and-roll, a play where he was not as effective in New Jersey when he did it a lot (he shot 46.7 percent with the Nets on that play). (All stats via Synergy Sports.)
Where he was effective was in transition, something the Jazz do not utilize as much. Jefferson got 38.3 percent of his shots in the post and scored a pedestrian 0.89 points per possession out of that (he shot 42.7 percent when posted up). Speed up the game and replace some of those slower post-up plays with transition opportunities for Favors and others and you might have something.
But clearly, the cuts and back doors of the flex offense worked for guys like Favors and you don’t want to get rid of all of it.
The real question the Jazz need to ask is “what kind of team do we want to be?” They have a roster that is in flux as they rebuild in the post Deron Williams years, which adds to the questions. Utah must figure out what kind of team it wants to be then get players that fit the system. That may include an evolution away from the flex offense, but it should be a slow one as it clearly works for some key players in the future of this franchise.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 12
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 32
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 22
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64