Sep 1, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
UPDATE 8:58 am: Well, that didn’t take long.
“This is not true, I did not sign anything. Nothing is done. I did not commit to ASVEL during the lockout. There is insurance to pay, the case has stalled because I am playing with the National Team”
Note that he does not say it will not happen, just that there are insurance and other issues to work out. So this is not dead in the water, but it’s not all lined up right now.
8:14 am: In the NBA, there are rules against players owning a part of the team. France has no such qualms. (They don’t have qualms about a lot of things that disturb us here, but that’s another topic for another day.)
This is good news for Tony Parker. He is co-owner of a team in the top league in France and he has nothing to do during the lockout. So…
According to our informants, Tony Parker, starting point guard of the Spurs, will be wearing ASVEL’s jersey during the NBA lockout. This will come true by mid-October.
The club, in a suburb of Lyon, would not only get better on the court but the arenas will fill up and the owners would make a lot more money… hey, now I get why he is going.
We’ll see if this really happens, I’d take it with a grain of salt. But there is some logic to it.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars