Sep 1, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
UPDATE 8:58 am: Well, that didn’t take long.
“This is not true, I did not sign anything. Nothing is done. I did not commit to ASVEL during the lockout. There is insurance to pay, the case has stalled because I am playing with the National Team”
Note that he does not say it will not happen, just that there are insurance and other issues to work out. So this is not dead in the water, but it’s not all lined up right now.
8:14 am: In the NBA, there are rules against players owning a part of the team. France has no such qualms. (They don’t have qualms about a lot of things that disturb us here, but that’s another topic for another day.)
This is good news for Tony Parker. He is co-owner of a team in the top league in France and he has nothing to do during the lockout. So…
According to our informants, Tony Parker, starting point guard of the Spurs, will be wearing ASVEL’s jersey during the NBA lockout. This will come true by mid-October.
The club, in a suburb of Lyon, would not only get better on the court but the arenas will fill up and the owners would make a lot more money… hey, now I get why he is going.
We’ll see if this really happens, I’d take it with a grain of salt. But there is some logic to it.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43