Sep 1, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
Because it resulted in a ring and because Kevin Garnett is now almost a Boston icon, we forget that he almost didn’t go there.
Garnett was being traded in the summer of 2007, having essentially forced his way out of Minnesota as they were going young and he was wildly unhappy. There were plenty of teams interested in Garnett but he was hesitant to go to Boston (until they added Ray Allen, then with Paul Pierce that team started to look like a contender).
“I was pretty close [to going to LA] to be honest,” Garnett said. “What disturbed me about the whole Laker situation was Kobe [Bryant] and Phil [Jackson] at the time. They was pretty bad. That situation was something I didn’t want to get into. It was my choice. There was a lot going on and I didn’t want to be a part of it.”
Are you hearing the Hallelujah Chorus too? That was Celtics fans after reading that quote.
Remember that the summer of 2007 was the summer of Kobe’s discontent. He didn’t believe in Andrew Bynum and he didn’t expect that anyone could turn Kwame Brown into a quality player by trade. Nobody did. Kobe was asking for a trade (which the Lakers never were going to grant, not really, but they went through the motions).
You can see why KG would have been hesitant to go Wst. And maybe it worked out best for everyone this way (at least it did for Pau Gasol).
But can you imagine KG in the high post of the triangle with Andrew Bynum on the front line and Kobe? That would have been a contending team instantly.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2