Sep 1, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
Because it resulted in a ring and because Kevin Garnett is now almost a Boston icon, we forget that he almost didn’t go there.
Garnett was being traded in the summer of 2007, having essentially forced his way out of Minnesota as they were going young and he was wildly unhappy. There were plenty of teams interested in Garnett but he was hesitant to go to Boston (until they added Ray Allen, then with Paul Pierce that team started to look like a contender).
“I was pretty close [to going to LA] to be honest,” Garnett said. “What disturbed me about the whole Laker situation was Kobe [Bryant] and Phil [Jackson] at the time. They was pretty bad. That situation was something I didn’t want to get into. It was my choice. There was a lot going on and I didn’t want to be a part of it.”
Are you hearing the Hallelujah Chorus too? That was Celtics fans after reading that quote.
Remember that the summer of 2007 was the summer of Kobe’s discontent. He didn’t believe in Andrew Bynum and he didn’t expect that anyone could turn Kwame Brown into a quality player by trade. Nobody did. Kobe was asking for a trade (which the Lakers never were going to grant, not really, but they went through the motions).
You can see why KG would have been hesitant to go Wst. And maybe it worked out best for everyone this way (at least it did for Pau Gasol).
But can you imagine KG in the high post of the triangle with Andrew Bynum on the front line and Kobe? That would have been a contending team instantly.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4