Sep 1, 2011, 12:11 PM EDT
Patrick also had Kevin Garnett on, and that led to some interesting comments about his future. KG enters the last season of his contract.
Garnett said on the broadcast he has had no talks with the Celtics about a contract extension.
Part of that is the lockout, obviously. There would have been some kind of communication this summer if David Stern hadn’t essentially put duct tape over Danny Ainge’s mouth with his lockout fines.
But it begs the big question for the Celtics — when is it time to move on from the “Big Three” and makes this Rajon Rondo’s team?
This is the last year in the deals for KG and Ray Allen, Paul Pierce has two more seasons beyond this one (whenever it starts), however he can be bought out of that second season. KG was still a very effective player who gave Boston nearly 15 points and 9 boards a game. Ray Allen’s shot will have perfect form for all of eternity. But how fast will their game drop off (KG will be 35 next season)?
Part of what the Celtics decide will be based on how the team looks post-lockout this season, and part on what they can do under the yet-to-be-set new salary rules. It is hard to let go, but it is usually better to make that move too early rather than too late.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights