Sep 1, 2011, 12:11 PM EDT
Patrick also had Kevin Garnett on, and that led to some interesting comments about his future. KG enters the last season of his contract.
Garnett said on the broadcast he has had no talks with the Celtics about a contract extension.
Part of that is the lockout, obviously. There would have been some kind of communication this summer if David Stern hadn’t essentially put duct tape over Danny Ainge’s mouth with his lockout fines.
But it begs the big question for the Celtics — when is it time to move on from the “Big Three” and makes this Rajon Rondo’s team?
This is the last year in the deals for KG and Ray Allen, Paul Pierce has two more seasons beyond this one (whenever it starts), however he can be bought out of that second season. KG was still a very effective player who gave Boston nearly 15 points and 9 boards a game. Ray Allen’s shot will have perfect form for all of eternity. But how fast will their game drop off (KG will be 35 next season)?
Part of what the Celtics decide will be based on how the team looks post-lockout this season, and part on what they can do under the yet-to-be-set new salary rules. It is hard to let go, but it is usually better to make that move too early rather than too late.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6