Sep 1, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
If the Pau Gasol trade proved anything it’s that the owners and operators of basketball teams are, occasionally to a fault, reactionary thinkers. Once the dominoes begin falling, some GMs just can’t help themselves, and before they know it they’ve traded a successful offensive system and a versatile two-way player for an aging Shaquille O’Neal. Or more recently: they’ve liquidated half of their roster for the sake of getting another star to put alongside Amar’e Stoudemire, in no small part due to the glut of talent collected by another team in the conference.
The same reactionary patterns seem to hold true in Lega Basket A, Italy’s top league, with both a potential inciting acquisition and a likely reactionary move centered around NBA talent. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport (via Sportando and Yahoo’s Scoop Du Jour blog), Olimpia Milano (also called Emporio Armani Milano), one of the most storied teams in Italian basketball, is considering capitalizing on the lockout by bringing back Danilo Gallinari. That consideration has made the thinking of another Italian club, Montepaschi Siena, even more cut-and-dry; Montepaschi had reportedly already been preparing to make a run at Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani to bolster their roster, but the possibility of another Lega A team securing NBA talent would make that decision even easier. Montepaschi’s interest in signing Bargnani exists independently of whatever else goes on in Lega A, but that interest is intensified should Milano up the ante by inking Gallo.
For now, the two players are teammates, attempting (along with fellow NBAer Marco Belinelli) to power Italy’s national team through EuroBasket’s preliminary rounds. But it should surprise no one if both Bargnani and Gallinari end up as Lega A rivals in short order.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29