Aug 31, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Most NBA players twitter accounts — and there are hundreds now — are just plain dull. Details of where they are working out, where they are playing, some inside jokes of friends and retweets of people who ask for it because it’s their birthday.
Not Gilbert Arenas’ agentzeroshow twitter feed. It was entertaining, funny, controversial, he got in twitter fights — just the other day with a comedian — and at times misogynistic. Back in June the league got frustrated with something the tweeted and fined him. But it was always worth reading.
And now it’s gone. Try clicking the link to his feed.
Arenas had warned he would take it down by Sept. 1 but he was ahead of schedule. He put up some goodbye tweets that the Orlando Sentinel captured before the entire account was deleted.
“so i would like to do my thx u’s now…too all the fan’s that has humor in their lives thx u for understanding my approach to twitte,” he wrote. ”and for the ppl who just got pissed off and took my tweets too serious U NEED 101 HUMOR HELP u can laugh its okay”.
Arenas took to twitter as entertainment, treating the service as a toy where he tried to amuse himself and others. Arenas can be a controversial guy, so some of what he wrote was controversial.
In a world of banal tweets from athletes who see this mostly as a marketing tool — and so they stay on script talking about workouts and how much they love their family — Arenas’ stood out. That feed will be missed.
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 1
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 2
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 30
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 7
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (120)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay