Aug 31, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
Most NBA players twitter accounts — and there are hundreds now — are just plain dull. Details of where they are working out, where they are playing, some inside jokes of friends and retweets of people who ask for it because it’s their birthday.
Not Gilbert Arenas’ agentzeroshow twitter feed. It was entertaining, funny, controversial, he got in twitter fights — just the other day with a comedian — and at times misogynistic. Back in June the league got frustrated with something the tweeted and fined him. But it was always worth reading.
And now it’s gone. Try clicking the link to his feed.
Arenas had warned he would take it down by Sept. 1 but he was ahead of schedule. He put up some goodbye tweets that the Orlando Sentinel captured before the entire account was deleted.
“so i would like to do my thx u’s now…too all the fan’s that has humor in their lives thx u for understanding my approach to twitte,” he wrote. ”and for the ppl who just got pissed off and took my tweets too serious U NEED 101 HUMOR HELP u can laugh its okay”.
Arenas took to twitter as entertainment, treating the service as a toy where he tried to amuse himself and others. Arenas can be a controversial guy, so some of what he wrote was controversial.
In a world of banal tweets from athletes who see this mostly as a marketing tool — and so they stay on script talking about workouts and how much they love their family — Arenas’ stood out. That feed will be missed.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 14
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 9
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 50
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28