Aug 31, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Most NBA players twitter accounts — and there are hundreds now — are just plain dull. Details of where they are working out, where they are playing, some inside jokes of friends and retweets of people who ask for it because it’s their birthday.
Not Gilbert Arenas’ agentzeroshow twitter feed. It was entertaining, funny, controversial, he got in twitter fights — just the other day with a comedian — and at times misogynistic. Back in June the league got frustrated with something the tweeted and fined him. But it was always worth reading.
And now it’s gone. Try clicking the link to his feed.
Arenas had warned he would take it down by Sept. 1 but he was ahead of schedule. He put up some goodbye tweets that the Orlando Sentinel captured before the entire account was deleted.
“so i would like to do my thx u’s now…too all the fan’s that has humor in their lives thx u for understanding my approach to twitte,” he wrote. ”and for the ppl who just got pissed off and took my tweets too serious U NEED 101 HUMOR HELP u can laugh its okay”.
Arenas took to twitter as entertainment, treating the service as a toy where he tried to amuse himself and others. Arenas can be a controversial guy, so some of what he wrote was controversial.
In a world of banal tweets from athletes who see this mostly as a marketing tool — and so they stay on script talking about workouts and how much they love their family — Arenas’ stood out. That feed will be missed.
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 2
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11