Aug 31, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Clipper Darrell is mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore.
He’s going to sleep.
On his twitter account a few weeks ago, Clipper Darrell said he plans to sleep outside the Staples Center in protest of the lockout until somebody gives in.
Who is Clipper Darrell you ask? An institution at Clippers game, a fan in a two-tone suit who for years has often been more entertaining than the Clippers. He is their most loyal fan and biggest supporter. I still remember the “WTF” look on Kevin Durant’s face when he walked up to the free throw line in Staples two seasons ago and Clipper Darrell let loose with “Hey Kevin, U-G-L-Y you ain’t got no alibi you’re ugly.” Clipper Darrell doesn’t sit that close to the floor, but he is loud and Staples used to be pretty quiet during Clips games.
Clipper Darrell first mentioned the sleepover protest on his twitter account August 16th. “I WANT BASKETBALL BACK!! The LA Clippers finally get a superstar & now it’s an NBA lockout. I WILL SLEEP @STAPLES starting OCT.1 ..are u in?” Clipper Darrell wrote. He’s been running a countdown to the sleepover, mentioning it every few days. He’s even trying to recruit other people to join him “All NBA fans arena & restaurant employees camera people & anybody else this affects on Oct 1 protest lockout sleep over Staples Center.
There are plenty of people sleeping on the streets in downtown Los Angeles, but it doesn’t happen around Staples Center and the adjacent LA Live complex. Clipper Darrell will find out about that.
Also, this will not move David Stern in the least. Stern lives in New York, he probably has to step over three people just to get from his town car to the front door of the NBA offices. The fact some guy is sleeping in protest 3,000 miles away will not faze the man.
But we’re with you there in Spirit, Clipper Darrell. The lockout does suck.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9