Aug 31, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Clipper Darrell is mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore.
He’s going to sleep.
On his twitter account a few weeks ago, Clipper Darrell said he plans to sleep outside the Staples Center in protest of the lockout until somebody gives in.
Who is Clipper Darrell you ask? An institution at Clippers game, a fan in a two-tone suit who for years has often been more entertaining than the Clippers. He is their most loyal fan and biggest supporter. I still remember the “WTF” look on Kevin Durant’s face when he walked up to the free throw line in Staples two seasons ago and Clipper Darrell let loose with “Hey Kevin, U-G-L-Y you ain’t got no alibi you’re ugly.” Clipper Darrell doesn’t sit that close to the floor, but he is loud and Staples used to be pretty quiet during Clips games.
Clipper Darrell first mentioned the sleepover protest on his twitter account August 16th. “I WANT BASKETBALL BACK!! The LA Clippers finally get a superstar & now it’s an NBA lockout. I WILL SLEEP @STAPLES starting OCT.1 ..are u in?” Clipper Darrell wrote. He’s been running a countdown to the sleepover, mentioning it every few days. He’s even trying to recruit other people to join him “All NBA fans arena & restaurant employees camera people & anybody else this affects on Oct 1 protest lockout sleep over Staples Center.
There are plenty of people sleeping on the streets in downtown Los Angeles, but it doesn’t happen around Staples Center and the adjacent LA Live complex. Clipper Darrell will find out about that.
Also, this will not move David Stern in the least. Stern lives in New York, he probably has to step over three people just to get from his town car to the front door of the NBA offices. The fact some guy is sleeping in protest 3,000 miles away will not faze the man.
But we’re with you there in Spirit, Clipper Darrell. The lockout does suck.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 1
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings